Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to be getting a FRPP 302 long block with the gt-40x heads and higher lift cam. My question is that with my current set-up wich cam should i go with The b-303 or the e-303. And also how much power do you think ill be making?

engine mods are:
cobra intake
65mm t/b
24lbs injectors
underdrive pullies
1.7 cobra rockers
77mm pro-m
190ltr/hr tank pump
t-56 with 3.73 rear gear
motorsport shortie headers
2 chamber flowmasters
2.5inch h-pipe

·
Registered
705 Posts
Go for the newer cams that have different inlet timing to exhaust with a fair bit of lift like tfs.1 /Crane 2030 very streetable and power all way through your rev range with no tuning hassles...

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the reason im looking between the b-303 and e-303 is because they come installed from the factory as part of the long block, and i dont have the money to replace it yet, so given my 2 choices wich cam should i get with my set up and how much power am i looking at?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I am not too crazy about alphabet cam, I would go for either Comp cam or Crower cam, get the cam which has more lift and duration on exhaust side.:)

·
Registered
705 Posts
The B has more duration Right? I'd go E303 more lift and less duration..220 @ 50 /498 lift.. B I think has 500rpm higher torque curve..

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was leaning towards the e-303 also. I was wondering if i will have any valve interfierance issues? bolting on thoses 1.7 roller rockers with the e-303 equiped long block? Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Go with the E, I currantly run the E with 1.7s on ported stock heads. Well atleast untill today, I'm doing a head swap. With 1.7s I think you get about .528 lift and 222 duration. I had a freind with a B cam in an 85 GT set up axactly like 86, but he had Windsor Jrs and 1.6s. He's the better driver and our cars were just as quik as each others, but he had more low end. I think that was because of the better heads, but I would always catch up. So I figure if I had the same heads I would be alittle faster, since he sold the car and I got TFS heads, so no we'll never know.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I've had the B-303, E-303 and TFstage 1. I really don't understand people putting down the E cam. It's not a bad cam at all. Actually I ended up with the E_303 in my mustang, the TF cam in my pick-up and the B-303 sitting on a shelf in my garage, so I guess you know which one I like best.

Go with the E-303.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I was wondering if i will have any valve interfierance issues? bolting on thoses 1.7 roller rockers with the e-303 equiped long block
They should clear with room to spare but check it, cheap insurance. 1.7's will give you .529" lift but interference has more to do with timing events and duraton than lift

·
Registered
48 Posts
My good friend has a '93 Cobra with the stock 1.7s, ported stock GT40's, and we installed the Wolverine 1190 cam. I really like all of the characteristics of the cam, it made a lot of power and sounded amazing. We have an E cam in our car and I can't complain about that one either. I can get the specs on the cam if anyone cares, but I like the 1190 Wolverine.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Before they assemble your engine get them to clarence the valve reliefes slightly,good insurance.Or atleast take them out for bigger valves in the future..

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all your info guys, im going to go with the E-303 in my smalll block. One last question, what does the E-303 cam sound like compared to the factory cam? is it nice and lumpy? or fairly smooth like the stock cam?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The E-303 has a great sound that is definately not stock. You can hear quite a bit of loap and you will be happy with it I'm sure. The cam worked great for us.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Because I think the biggest problem with the B303 is the lazy ramps, but with the 1.7 rockers you've helped that significantly. I think the B303 has better valve events, as long as you don't install it with the dots lined up, because that will put it 5 degrees advanced. If you were to install the E303 straight up on a 110 IC (that's how it's ground) and a B303 straight up on a 112 IC (that's 5 degrees retarded from the way it's ground) I think the B303 would win hands down. For your case, I'd look at installing it around 110-112 IC.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
good info, but the thing is i will be getting the motor as a crate motor with the cam and heads already installed in long block form, and i kinda dont want to mess with it, i was just going to swap the 1.7 roller rockers from my worn out 95GT 5.0 cause they were a fairly new addition to that motor. Of course i could just leave the motor untouched from the assembly line at ford and install it with the stock stamped rocker arms in it? what are your thoughts.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the Ford Racing crate motor with the x-heads and E-cam. I intstalled 1.6rr before the engine was installed. I figured that the RRs would give a bit durability. To be honest, if I were you, I wouldn't mess with the rockers. In my opinion it's not worth it.
Your going to be very happy with the engine as is. I don't think the 1.7 would give that much of an increase in power anyway.
I could be wrong.......

Good luck with your stang!!!

Ron

1 - 20 of 22 Posts