Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am assembling all the parts for my 347 build. It is going to be EFI, and I have stock trick flow 170 twisted wedge heads. 10.4 or 10.5 compression, 5 spd with 373 rearend. planning on running 30lb injectors, and the car has all the bolt on's, . My shift point for reliablity and longevity's sake will be around 5500. This is my daily driver and I want it to be completely streetable with tons of torque. Im shooting for big average HP andn Tq numbers, not to worried about peak numbers. What cam and intake should I go with. I would like power band to start at 2000 if possible. I have a B cam but dont know if it will pull to 5500 with a 347. Everyone on these forum's seems to worship custom cam grinds, but is that really necessary for the low rpm's im running?

Everyone is telling me that edelbrock rpm 2 will be a good fit, but im worried that I will have no power till 3K rpm's.

ANY suggestions on a good intake and cam combo for my goals are very appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
Ig go with TFS track heat or if you have the extra $$, the systemax. either intake with a TFS stage 2 or 3 cam is gonna be a monster.

dont worry about a lack of lowend, the 347 will make up for that.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You'll probably end up with power similar to this. This is a 347 with a holley, TFS2 cam, and TW185 heads, but my tune is only providing 24*'s of timing right now.

I personally want to try the XE282HR for more power, but the trickflow is very streetable. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
If your only running to 5500rpm. Holly Systemax, Cobra intake, Performer.

TFS Stage 1 cam or equivalent.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I ran an off the shelf Comp Cams XE276HR for a few years. I ran OK but had surging and hunting idle issues, not bad but they were there. Went to a custom cam and it idled smoother, no surging whatsoever and had more power across the whole rpm band. Both cams had similar 0.050" duration numbers, 224 on the intakes, 230 exhaust for the Comp, 232 exhaust for the custom, but had different lobe profiles and angles. these are relatively small cams for a 347 but I need to pass emission tests every 2 years and the custom is lower on emissions.

If you not worried about emissions and want an off the shelf cam, go with the XE282HR.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it seems that I have a couple of votes for the tfs stage 2 cam. I did forget to mention that the heads are set up to run a max of .540 lift and around 230-234 duration max.

The guys at trick flow told me that if i was to run into pvc problems that i could simply retard the cam 4 degrees and I would be fine. He said this would raise the rpm band up around 400 rpm. Does anybody have experience with using high rpm parts with an advanced cam to lower the rpm band?

justthereforinfo-- nice dyno sheet- I would love to have numbers like that and although your torque really picks up around 3k, its still above 300 at 2500.

So is the consensus that a less extreme intake like the performer or track heat is sufficient since im not planning on running much over 5500 mayb 6k for a dyno run. would you guys perfer a professional products gasket matched intake or a fully ported lower cobra

·
Old timer
6,281 Posts
/flame suit on...

stangman65:

You have such specific criteria in your build that there will never be a catalog combination that will fit the bill. You may have some kind of issue with people who do this for a living but just bolting up parts you *think* will work is going to cost you more than any custom build would.

/off soapbox

·
Registered
623 Posts
a streetable 347!
no one has had that goal before!
better call NASA scientist's to grind a custom cam for this guy!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
im building a 99% street engine for my mustang 347 10.5:1, 28oz balanced and professionally assembled shortblock, Trick FlowTrack heat FAC 190s stock springs, xe276hr -*4, Gold Race 1.7s, 30# injectors and either a Tfs R or Victor 5.0 intake with a 75mm race TB. 1 3/4 Headers Spec Stage 2. I dont expect to make over 350 rwhp. however i expect power steering, A/C and Zero Driveability and switching from my 4.10s back to 3.55s and enjoying my steetcar. If you already have the parts, use what you got. if youre unsatisfied than you can go custom. if im unsatsfied with my setup ill be changing the springs and putting in a solid roller.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ed Curtis- I in no way meant to offend or downplay anyone in the performance world. I admire your knowledge and that is why I am on this site. My initial comments about custom camshafts was not a slight at engine builders. How much is a custom grind cam going to help my goals versus a otc cam. Secondly, which custom parts would you recommend to reach my goals.

I didn't really think my goals were to specific, I just want an engine that I can shift at 5500 and doesn't sacrafice low end (steetable power) for peak hp #'s.
Thanks for all the replies; they are much appreciated.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Noelsmustangs- that sounds similiar to my set up so far. and I would be very pleased with 350hp. This is my first top to bottom engine build and I appreciate all the input!!

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
How much is a custom grind cam going to help my goals versus a otc cam.
If you are super cam savvy and can select a really good OTS, a custom will help a little. If you don't know what you are doing and just guessing, a custom will help a lot. $300 for a Comp, $300 for an AFM, or $325 for FTI shipped?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Since you are only wanting to spin it up to 5500 rpm's I would recommend a Cobra/ GT 40/ Explorer intake. I had a Cobra with a ported lower on my 347 and it made monster low/midrange torque. But the motor fell flat on its face at 5800rpm's. Switched to a Systemax and lost a ton of low end torque but it was able to pull hard up to 6200. It was really amazing how much different it felt with just changing the intake. The cam I had in it was a Comp XE276HR. This is the one designed for 1.7 RR with only .544 lift.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
This is at the tires with a Victor 5.0 intake. It is about a combination of parts, this is why you don't just listen to what guy A says, then guy B and try to use both suggestions and hope for success. Email Ed, tell him what you want, he can design a cam AND suggest the intake needed for the goals. Don't ever take a piece from here and some from there.

Yes this is at the wheels of a 347 with 10.5CR, notice the torque at 2400rpms (blue line). I don't have the same heads as you, so don't think I was saying the Vic 5.0 as a suggestion, just showing when it all comes together, a good combo works. No way an Explorer intake would help me anywhere.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Goody-Seven- Thanks for the post and dyno chart, that is exactly the kind of torque curve I am trying to create. Would you mind listing your engine combo?

·
Old timer
6,281 Posts
Cody -

AFR 205 heads and a Victor 5.0 intake on a 347! Come on - we all know you need an E-cam, GT40 heads and an Explorer intake to make torque.

:rofl:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts