Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a common thing to try and turn the MAF 90 degrees towards the fender in an effort to fool the MAF into thinking there is lessair than there really is as too lean out the A/F ratio. I left my screen in and am wondering if this is still a good idea to turn teh MAF or not? The screen is suppose to straightened out air flow so would turning the MAF on its side still make sense? John DeMolet stated in a post that they tested that MAF positioning and they found that the MAF in the upright stock position worked best. Can someone help me out here? Does turing the MAF on its side have any negative effects?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I can't think of any negative effects the mass air meter might see from laying on it's side. With your screen in place, you probably wouldn't see a difference if you turned the MAF meter, but I guess you'll never know for sure until you try!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I think I am looking too deep into it. I am hoping my car will run a little better with the screen back in and MAF in stock position.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I turned mine away from the fender and it straightened out my idle and seemed to run a little stronger, but it was probably all mental.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It's not just you. A lot of people do the 90 degree turn if they remove the screen. If the screen is in place, rotation makes no difference as the screen straightens out the air flow. Without the screen, rotating the MAF housing places the MAF sample tube in a different air flow path since the air flowing without the screen is not evenly dispersed across the entire MAF housing. This is due to turbulence introduced by bends in the CAI. This is also why some peeps move their MAF into the fenderwell, right after the filter, so the MAF reads the incoming air before it hits any bends.

Lon

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so do I rotate the MAF towards the engine or towards the fender? I first rotated towards the engine where the plug that plugs into the MAF was closest to the engine, then I tried it to where the plug was closest to the fenderwell, which is correct? More than likely, I will just leave it as is, screen in, MAF in upright position.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Most rotate so the top of the MAF is pointing toward the engine, but like I said, it varies with every car and you need to make your own adjustments, rotating in like 5 degree increments until you find a sweet spot that works just right for you.

Lon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts