Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting an '88 lx 5.0 with a 5 speed by the end of this month. I have a set of 351w heads with the C90E casting number. The heads have a lot of work done to them. They have screw in studs, chevy 1.90i and 1.60e valves, ported and polished, moroso guides, double springed valve springs, some nicely machined retainers, and comp cams 1.6 rr. Now what I want to know is what do I need to slap these bad boys onto my 302? I read a couple of articles but I still feel like I'm in the dark on this one.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=72463&highlight=c90e

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=141094&highlight=c90e

I was wondering if the Rockers need to be replaced or if these heads will work right with the roller cam setup.
I dont know what length push rods will be needed or what head gasket will do the job. Will I need new valve covers as well? BTW I didnt spend a dime on the heads they came with a mustang project that I just recently dropped. I also have a ford motorsports tranny sitting under the dead fox, it was bolted up to the 351w will it bolt up with the 302? Sorry for being such a newbie

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
which comp rr's do you have on them? those cheapass roller tips? or some nice ones? You might get by with running a stock cover with some work done to the baffels

You'll need arp/ebrock stepped head bolt/stud washers, but I've heard of people running the 351 heads on 302's without using them.

Use a 9333PT1 Fel-pro head gasket

what transmission was on the 351? tremec? t5? If so, it will work with the appropriate 50oz imbalance flywheel

as for pushrods...I've heard of people running the stock length 302 pushrods without any huge problems. I'll be mocking up the heads on the block and measuring for the proper length one of these days

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has cheap roller tip rockers nad if I remeber correctly the tranny is a t5. The dead fox has been sitting in my backyard for almost two years now. If you can mock up the heads and blcok one day and let me know the results I would be much obliged.

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update

what about these bushings? jegs part number 350-9680. Do I really need these though? In reality were talking about a 1/16 of an inch. In automotive specifications thats alot of room. do the heads slide around with out the wasters or head bolts? Oh and I bought an 89 gt that took an ulgy shot in the back as my efi donor for the dead fox in my back yard. Any help would be appreciated as the project moves forward. Right now I'm in the middle of wiring hell.

·
Registered
78 Posts
351w heads

I did this to my car. I don't have the bushings, cause thew dowel pins u should have in the block will hold them from "moving around". I would suggest using a washer between the bolt and the top of the head. I use the stock length pushrods(hardened). If you can talk to the machine shop that machined the platform for the guide plates and make sure they took off .230, that will let you use the stock length pushrod. Other then that they will bolt right on. Get a good set of roller rockers if you can, like the scorpions about $195.00.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how thick of a washer did you use for your application? Also did you just use washers that you could buy at lowes or did you use specific washers? Thanks for the info man.

·
Registered
78 Posts
washers

I used just a steel washer, like something you can buy at a hardware store. I suggest them cause when you put the 7/16 size bolt in the hole for the 1/2 size bolt it doesn't fill the holeand it looks like the head of the bolt it's enough surface area to clamp down the head(but it is). Just something to make me have that warm fuzzy, right. You'll see what I'm talking about when you go to torgue em down. I also thought of something after I last wrote, If those heads were on the motor and it ran then use the pushrods from the other motor they will most likely be hardened(for guide plates) and be the correct length.
I'm glad you found those heads for free, I ended up spending just under $600 by the time I had them cleaned up installed the 194 and 160 valves with a really good valve job, machined for guide plates valve guides honed.....blah blah blah oh and surfaced. I could've bought a set of world Jr's for $700 already done

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Make sure you use HARDENED washers,otherwise the soft cheapos might crush before take 80 ft/lbs of torque.This will give bad torque readings and cause gesket problems.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys I started bolting down the heads this weekend. I took apart the motor with out having to remove the distributor. I thought I was going to have to remove it so I turned the motor over (by hand). I have never heard this motor run so I was wondering what shape it was in too. When I was turning the motor I was like $h^t! why is this motor so hard to turn?! Well I fogot that I put a huge strip of duct tape across all the openings on the lower intake. I looked up and saw this motor literally trying to suck the tape down!! Then when the exhaust would open up I heard air escaping. When I got down to the slugs I found that the piston bores are still sporting thier cross hatch pattern. The intake had to come off because the injector (plastic tip) bases were breaking off in the intake and falling into the bore.
I didnt use the washers it was just an added expense into the already increasing money pit. The car is supposed to be a budget bruiser. I did use the fel-pro head gasket and I plan on using the 351w intake gasket. It looks like the 302 push rods will be going on the motor too. I cleaned out the head bolt holes and blew them out. I also cleaned the head bolts and inspected them to see if the they looked stretched. Piston bores didnt have a ridge. I guess the guy I bought the entire car from wasnt lying when he said the motor only had 56k on the clock. Now will a fcam be too much cam for this head? I plan on using the stock intake for a little while. I was planning on using 24# injectors with a matching maf meter. I wanted to use long tubes. I have the stock a9l computer. Am I missing anything or is this a crappy set up. I was thinking E cam Might replace f if the f isnt a good choice. Thanks all for the help.

Peter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts