Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a ‘72 Mustang coupe I’m restoring. It originally came with a 302 and some point around ‘78 it was swapped for a 351M. I’m guessing the engine blew. I’m a 351C guy so I rebuilt a 351C 2V to go in this and just sell off. It came out of my ‘72 Mach 1. I’m building out a Boss 351 to go there. Anyhow, I knew the bellhousing would never match up to a 351C so I stupidly bought the wrong one. I probably should have read about the case fill vs pan fill. I bought a C4 bellhousing for a case fill that’s useless. I’m going through various forums figuring out which bellhousing I need to get. Here’s what I got for pan fill:
C5AP-7976-B
D2AP-7976-AA
D3BP-7976-AA
D6AP-7976-AA
D6TP-7976-AA
D9AP-7976-BA

They all seem to line up with only one issue I’ve found, the D6TP shows as truck only in some listings. The big problem is that is the one easiest to find on eBay at a reasonable price. I really don’t want another useless bellhousing so I’m hoping some here can help.

Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated for me and anyone else who comes along looking for the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
what transmission do you have? What flexplate and converter are you gonna use? Those 3 items will dictate which bellhousing you need. At one time I had 252 C4/C5 bellhousings laying out back. Sold all but two, which I am keeping (they are both 157t case fill).

There is the pan fill version. Then SEVERAL case fill versions (157t 164t, etc) Does your bellhouse bolt to the case, or to the pump?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what transmission do you have? What flexplate and converter are you gonna use? Those 3 items will dictate which bellhousing you need. At one time I had 252 C4/C5 bellhousings laying out back. Sold all but two, which I am keeping (they are both 157t case fill).

There is the pan fill version. Then SEVERAL case fill versions (157t 164t, etc) Does your bellhouse bolt to the case, or to the pump?

164T bolts to case

·
Registered
3,617 Posts

something like that?
by the way you can use a bellhousing that bolts to the pump on a case that is designed to have the bell bolted to the case without issue as I remember.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

something like that?
by the way you can use a bellhousing that bolts to the pump on a case that is designed to have the bell bolted to the case without issue as I remember.
I’m not sure on that. Different bolt pattern and much wider opening on case mount from what I’m looking at. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
700 Posts

something like that?
Yeah, it looks funny, but it works. I did it once way back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts