Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about buying a C&L M.A.F. 73mm. But I have heard that they do not do a thing. I have also heard it is not a "full" system. What do they mean when they say put out the extra couple bucks and get a "full" system.
Thanks
Colin

·
Registered
469 Posts
I guess on a stock motor it's worth a few ponies. But if you had heads, intake, ect. with a stock meter, the meter would be the bottle neck and a larger one would free up a lot more. I would do other stuff first( headers, pullies, gears) if you don't already have them, before spending money on a meter. When you do heads, intake, throttle body, then pop for the MAF.

·
Registered
216 Posts
A larger MAF is a good upgrade, a 73 mm unit on a mild N/A motor is good choice and more than enough. There is as many bads about C&L's as there is goods (same with the other brands). I personally run a 73 mm C&L unit, and have had no issues what so ever. The reason many people do not like the C&L unit is it is basically an air tube, with what is called a sample tube to meter or throttle air to essentially a stock Ford wire element. The sample tube diameter is "claibrated" or sized to the injector size you specify. This is not ideal, but for a stock to medium street/strip motor works fine IMO. The different brands such as Pro M use an actual calibrated meter. meaning the wire element itself is calibrated to the proper injector size. Problem here, is if it's not claibrated right (very tricky process that uses media blasting the wire...as I understand), your no better off. The beauty of the C&L is, if you decide to upgrade injectors and go from 19 lbs to 24 lbs, it is very cheap for a sample tube (about $25-30 bucks) and about 5 minute "do-it-yourself" job, the other meters need to be sent out for recalibrating, will cost you $100-200 and you will be down for a couple of days.

I would suggest paging stangPlus2Birds, or If he comes on the board, I'm sure he'll pop in, he can explain to you the benifits of Pro-M meters and give you more info on tuning and meter capability. He's well versed in MAF tuning.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
A bigger MAF is well worth more than a throttle body upgrade.

I loved my C+L MAF. Car ran great and idled nicely also. I also gained about 2-3#'s of boost over my stock meter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.
So if I understood right. The C&L is a tube, and a new sampleing tube. You keep using the stock unit but you cahnge the sample tubes and put the new tube on?
I hae all the basics ie. full exhaust, pulleys, gears. I am working my way down. MAF, TB, intake, heads. Slowly and surely.
Thanks again
Colin

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have 30 lb injectors with the 73 mm unit with no problems.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
colinderksen said:
Thanks guys.
So if I understood right. The C&L is a tube, and a new sampleing tube. You keep using the stock unit but you cahnge the sample tubes and put the new tube on?
The C+L unit is a different body housing that uses your stock electrionics. The sample tubes are what calibrates the electronics to your injectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts