Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on picking up this stock supposedly 76 or 77 c4 tomorrow night. THe guy said it was working fine when removed, but he doesn't know what type of wagon or if its a 76 or 77. So, what I am getting at, is does it matter? Also, I plan on building it up obviously as its not going to handle what I want to throw at it anytime soon, but what would I need for it to hold about 450rwhp? 600? 800? Minimum requirements here.

·
Registered
456 Posts
they are the same.

What I like in mine:
Red Alto clutches, kevlar bands, welded input drive drum, hardened input shaft, aftermarket servo, roller planet or six roller planet. the brake :) That and maybe drill the case oil lines to C5 specs.

todd

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any $$ amounts for those and a place to order from? H servo?

thanks todd.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, at what point is the roller stuff required and welded input drum?

·
Banned
6,256 Posts
mine has a hardned imput shaft, aftermarket servo, manual valvebody, good clutches and a TCI converter.. it handles all i can throw at it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
mine has c-5 case and drums, hardened input shaft, roller planet or six roller planet,kevelar bands, good clutches, manual valve body, pro shift servo (P/A),Coan Convertor

I would deal with P/A (Performance Automatic) for all your internals.... Talk to Mike (very helpfull)....

For a stall though I would run Coan or ATI... I personally run a Coan.....

Billy

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok kids, how about this.......lets say I just threw it on with a big converter, p/a manual vb, and a good cooler setup.....will it hold 430-450rwhp? I assume no/maybe is the answer......if so, what would go out first? Could I get away with it by maybe not launching hard.....but still getting on it? Street tires only? Funds kinda iffy right now.

thanks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You would want to throw in a input shaft, $100 from PA. You shouldn't need to worry about the drum until you get a brake. Next weakest part is the planet ~175-400+ depending on where you get it.

todd

·
Registered
67 Posts
yeah, I agree with Todd...

Get a hardened input shaft from P/A, that is the first weak link....
If it is a 76-77 c-4 you will need a 26 spline shaft... about a 100.00.

Would probably find a junk yard or swap meet H servo also, or splurge for the P/A Pro shift servo if your getting a good v-body.

Billy

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
P/a manual vb is what I have a deal set for, money order in the mail. Will the stock servo work for a while? No brake anytime soon, not allowed in class I want to run either.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I ran a mostly stock C4 in my car. Stock input shaft help fine never any problems. Not saying that you should keep it, hardened is definetly better. My week point was the forward panetary. I wore it out. Defenetly get a roller here. If you can, put as many clutches in the reverse drum. The reverse drum is also used for the 1 st gear forward as well as reverse. So it takes all the abuse. I didn't have my drum welded up, but I know its better to do. I had stock clutches and bands in mine. Coan did my trany.....THEY SUCK !!!!!! They might be able to do a converter, but don't let them do a FORD trany. They don't know how. I learned through their mistakes. When you go to get a C4, they are not all the same. The 60's C4's were 24 splined on both ends. Not as strong as the 70 on up C4's. The 70's were 24 on one end and 26 on the other. Some were even 26 and 26. Th emost common are the 24/26's . Some large belled C4's came out of trucks and were pan filled. These also suck. They tend to leak alot from the tube and give you no room to run long tube headers. The bell houseing bolts to the trany, not the pump !! So be carefull of this Bastard trany. I would say if you can get a C4 out of a small block 302 car in the mid 70's and a case fill, thats the one to have. Hope this helps. Stay away from COAN !!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would not say stay away from Coan...
I would say Coan and ATI make the best converters out there...
JPT makes a good convertor also from what I have been told.....

For the trans itself or for the internals I would run the P/A stuff....
Once again was told JPT (in michigan) make good transmissions and specialize in fords.....

fyi the 24 spline shaft trans is from 64-69
the 26/26 spline shaft is 1970 only
the 24/26 spline shaft is 71 and newer

Anything 70 and newer is good, parts are readilly availible....

The pan fill trans are slightly beefier, but as 302man said headers can be a pain....although the pan fills are alot harder to come by...
Case fill is the most common and will work fine....
Any 70 - 81 c-4 will be fine...
although 82-86 c-5 will work great also....,they accept all the c-4 a 70 and up use.... I got my c-5 from an 82 mustang v-6.....

Billy

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Billy, the reason I say to stay away from Coan, isn't for the converter. They probbaly make a great converter. But here is why they did me wrong :

Didn't straighten the pan...leaked like a sive at the track and almost hit the wall.

The upgraded clutches and bands they were suppose to put in were all stock pieces.

The hardened input shaft they sold me was too big. And of course it was my stuff that was screwed up.

The Reactor flex plate that I bought from them, hit the midplate. Coan put the weight on and made it too thick and had too much of the screw sticking out. This hit the gasket and wouldn't work. After grinding off the threads, the weight was so thick that it sounded like it was lifter ticking !!! Needless to say, again it was my fault and something was wrong with my car. I made my own setup and worked fine.

I spent $1200 with them for a trany that supposivly had "all you can do to it" and everything was my fault. So Coan can get my bad publisity and I will good tonight.

They also put my friends C6 together wrong. They put the front band in crooked and it was hard to push when in nuetral. Turned out they put in in wrong and wouldn't stand behind it either. They must build a hell of a converter is all I can say. Because they sure can't do a C4 !

Clair Stewart (renegade racer) also grenaded their C4. You see what he is useing now. Dynamic.

·
Registered
67 Posts
WOW! that really sucks, sorry you had such bad luck with them. I personally never used there transmissions, but there convertors have been great for me....

Hopefully the Dynamic lasts a little longer for you.....

Billy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts