Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a quick way to get by the factory rpm limit on a 91 computer? I have changed motors and need a few more hundred to get it all out of the motor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
quickest way is to have a chip burned and put it in, just tell them what you want.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've been told a couple of things, using an MSD ignition you may be able to overide the computer's signal???
I've also heard that the rpm extender that Ford sells is a hit or miss, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
I need more people to post regarding this issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
An MSD will not bypass the factory limiter.

Your choices are a chip, the Ford Motorsport Extender, or an aftermarket tuning device like an EEC Tuner or Tweecer.

I went with the EEC Tuner and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Has anyone had any success with the Ford rpm extender???

·
Registered
433 Posts
I bought an SVO Extender used and haven't been able to get it to work. I've been in contact with the designer through E-mail and he said he'd be more than happy to look at it. He gave me a couple of suggestions that I'm going to try out some time today. If not I guess I'll have to ship it off to him.

I don't know of any cheap way to bypass the rev limiter....As far as I know you have to buy an Extender, aftermarket chip, or something similar...I put a deposit down on a Tweecer RT...Hopefully it will ship in a couple of weeks.

Chad

·
Registered
433 Posts
How would a 6AL by-pass the rev limiter? Or are you saying you put a chip in LOWER than the factory 6250 limit?

My 6AL isn't doing crap for me in that department. The factory computer is what shuts down fuel...The MSD box only affects the ignition side of the equation.

Chad

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
jizmbells said:
a msd 6al will bypass the rpm limit on a 94gt and i have one to prove it im not sure about the older computers though.
No, it will not. I have no idea what's going on with your car, but an MSD absolutely will not disable the factory limiter on any EFI Mustang.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts