Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after nearly 10 years of trying to balance reliability, HP, TQ,& driveability, I've had it. I'm moving on up to the big leagues (well middle leagues maybe). I've deciced to attempt to squeeze 450+rwhp and 450+rwtq out of a carb'd 351 based motor. I've browsed these forums long enough that I think I have a good idea of what it takes to get there. I'm not looking for monster #'s , just some comparable to my s/c motor (480rwhp 450rwtq).

My plan is to start with a 69 351 block that I already have sitting around. My question here is do I go for as many cubes as I can or do I stay in the 393-408 range and make it up with compression and camming? I'd like to keep compression no higher than 11.0 so I can at least run pump gas part of the time. Pretty much all I have to start with (off my 306) is a set of 70cc Victor Jr heads and Comp Pro Magnum 1.6 rockers. Everything else I gotta pick up. Any suggestions, opinions, are appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Cubes would make it easier. I did a circle track spec. engine for a company last year, designed the combo. 358CID limit with a hyd flat cam/ Brodix Track 1 Fords, out of the box. 9 to 1 compression, 750 Holley with a Victor intake. Specifications is we had to make reliable power and make 400HP/400#/ft.
Based on this I designed a cam with .500 Lift and high 240ish at .050". Engine peak was 6200 RPM. I can't remember the exact rpm but it made 412HP at 6100 and 424#/ft at around 4K If I remember.

So for your goals, a 393 would easily get you to what you want with 11 to 1.

Chris

·
Registered
95 Posts
My motor is 410CI. 1972 351W .40 over bore and stroked. It has scat dished pistons (10.5 CR). Twisted wedge ported heads, trickflow cam (574 intake, 594 exhaust), edelbrock ported rpm intake. 42 lb inj, 75 mm tb, 75 mm bullit MAF calibrated to the 42lbers, roller lifters. Car needs a dyno tune and chip burned. Stock 94 computer. Computer dyno estimates 503 hp at 6000 RPM and 509 ft lbs at 4500 RPM. Car idles a little rough, but I think Im having a vacuum gremlin. Hoping to get it dynotuned within a week or two. I still have some minor tweaking to do. My rear main seal is seaping a little oil too, but thats commin in the older two piece rear main blocks. Im hoping that when I get my vacuum problem straight, that'll be ok. I still have the 302's pcv valve in place, so that may be negatively effecting my vacuum as well (possibly too much crank case pressure).
Anyway, I love the low end torque of my NA 351. I plan to add a 150 shot later down the road, after I get everything in tune (including chassis). I would definately reccomend this route over a blown 302.
If you going carb'd, that'll make it even easier (and cheaper).

·
Registered
433 Posts
yeah 351w is a small block.

half the people say a 351C is a big block if you ever saw one it does look like it.

you can actually stroke a 302 to a 360cid using a 351C crank and mopar rods.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are decent #'s for such low comp and only .500lift. Gives me somewhere to start looking. Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
351W may be a small block, but its not like a chevy, where there 305 and 350 are the exact same size block. My 351 is longer, wider and taller than a 302. Trust me, it aint easy tryin to work between the fenders of my 94.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I meant big block as in when you're used to only 306 cubes, everything seems big;) 11secFox, your setup sounds good. Any real dyno #'s yet? Those computer dyno's had me hyped up to make 535rwhp and 495rwtq..Needless to say I fell a bit short of that:( . I've seen a few 351's in 95's it seems to fit well, spark plug access is a little tighter, but nothing crazy. I lost the a/c and smog items long ago. The p/s will be MIA when it goes in too, so space will be plentiful. Keep em coming. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Go 408!
All forged 4340.
Look at the combo in my link below.
Numbers can be hard to get to EFI, but it can be done.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those #'s with the new intake??? Pretty stout anyways. Are only the 94-95 Lightning motors roller blocks?? I'm going to keep it simple...so a carb is the way I gotta go. I'd like to discard as much wiring harness as possible to clean up the terrain. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Thats what I did on my last car. It was a carb'd 466. I didn't like it when I was done.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
why not put your blower on a 351? you could build it very mild and still rip

·
Registered
766 Posts
Here's my combo: 69 blocked 418ci, Box stock TFS "R" heads, 11.25:1 comp, super victor intake untouched, 1000cfm demon, 252/262 @ .05, 110ls, .576/.576 lift, 1 7/8 kooks. Made hp #'s in sig on pump gas with decent idle. Should be around 525rwhp through a stick.
Mike.

·
Registered
712 Posts
11secFox said:
My motor is 410CI. 1972 351W .40 over bore and stroked. It has scat dished pistons (10.5 CR). Twisted wedge ported heads, trickflow cam (574 intake, 594 exhaust), edelbrock ported rpm intake. 42 lb inj, 75 mm tb, 75 mm bullit MAF calibrated to the 42lbers, roller lifters. Car needs a dyno tune and chip burned. Stock 94 computer. Computer dyno estimates 503 hp at 6000 RPM and 509 ft lbs at 4500 RPM. Car idles a little rough, but I think Im having a vacuum gremlin. Hoping to get it dynotuned within a week or two. I still have some minor tweaking to do. My rear main seal is seaping a little oil too, but thats commin in the older two piece rear main blocks. Im hoping that when I get my vacuum problem straight, that'll be ok. I still have the 302's pcv valve in place, so that may be negatively effecting my vacuum as well (possibly too much crank case pressure).
Anyway, I love the low end torque of my NA 351. I plan to add a 150 shot later down the road, after I get everything in tune (including chassis). I would definately reccomend this route over a blown 302.
If you going carb'd, that'll make it even easier (and cheaper).
11SECFOX
tell me more about that low in tq. i love to hear a good torque story! i cant wait until im one with my 410 stroker.

·
Registered
712 Posts
HOtrain said:
Here's my combo: 69 blocked 418ci, Box stock TFS "R" heads, 11.25:1 comp, super victor intake untouched, 1000cfm demon, 252/262 @ .05, 110ls, .576/.576 lift, 1 7/8 kooks. Made hp #'s in sig on pump gas with decent idle. Should be around 525rwhp through a stick.
Mike.
hotrain
what rpm did you make peak hp and tq? by the way, very nice numbers!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like that combo HOtrain. Nice #'s. A good friend of mine has a 393 thats been together for nearly 10 years now. It's pretty old school since there was'nt much around when he built the motor. It's a 69 block, Jack Roush prepped stock stroker crank (all that was around back then) Roush Main cap supports (again all we had) Eagle H-beams, Ross forged pistons, World Products Windsor Sr. iron heads, ported to death by owner, 610/610 solid flat tappet cam, 10.5-1 comp, Victor Jr intake and a Carb Shop 925cfm Holley. No dyno #'s but the car ran a 11.5 @ 118 in a very heavy 67 coupe on 26in slicks and through a converter that refused to lock up. The thing rev's to the moon and is as solid as a rock. Should be fun to try something new for a chance. P.S. I've thought about putting the Vortech on a 351, the only problem is I need the money from selling the charger to fund this project:D

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
so if you're going to do this, are you going to sell your Victor Jr's? If so, how much?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
94 Cobra R said:
so if you're going to do this, are you going to sell your Victor Jr's? If so, how much?
I'm going to try to use the Vic's for the new motor. I can't part with them yet it'll kill me to take a loss on these. They should work well with the big motor.

·
Registered
766 Posts
oohwe306 said:
hotrain
what rpm did you make peak hp and tq? by the way, very nice numbers!
With zero lash and 400 dollar drop in lifters, we pulled to 6800 n/p. Power peaked at 6500 and torque at 5000.
mike.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts