Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my car only has a 5/8" drop from stock, should I be requiring a bumpsteer kit of tie-rod ends to get the steering links more parallel to the ground? I'm picturing that with the links parallel to the ground the steering response will be better?

I have MM rack bushings and C/C plates.

Feels like I've lost steering response even after installing Michelin Pilot A/S tires (ya, more rounded tread edge)? New alignment?

·
Registered
366 Posts
You don't necessarily want the tie rod ends parallel to the ground.

To really get bumpsteer right requires checking it with a bumpsteer gauge or a good alignment rack. But a to get you in the rough ballpark, on a Mustang the tie rods should be near parallel to the lower control arms, not to the ground. If the control arms are pointed up, so should be the tire rods.

My advice: if the control arms and balljoints are stock, and you don’t have caster cambers plates, leave it alone, unless you are going to pay a professional to check it. Putting the wrong parts on it could actually make it worse.

Once more caster is added with caster camber plates, this changes the height relationship between the tie rod end and the steering rack and balljoint. Then it is a good idea to add an offset rack bushings and/or bumpsteer kit, with a professional alignment by someone who understands bumpsteer. (Just because a shop owns an alignment rack doesn’t mean they understand bumpsteer).

·
Registered
137 Posts
yeh what he said...

you could check it yourself if you have some tools, roll the car into the garage with the wheels straight, next measure the front tire to fender lip for ride height, next jack up the car in the front center so the ride hieght is 2" higher (not off the ground) now slap a string across the left side tires, measure the toe on the front tire, now release the jack and let it back to normal ride height and measure the toe again. if it stayed the same then your bump steer is 0, if the tires toed-in you have bump in, if the tires toed-out you have bump out. zero toe change is the best, bump out of 1/8" total (1/16" each side) is ok any more and you need a kit, any bump in and you need a kit. test it and let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Adjusting bumpsteer is a pain in the neck. Make sure you are up for it before buying adjustable tie rod ends and a bumpsteer tool. I spent the better part of a whole day working on the front and rear end (IRS).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts