Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have heard that bumping the timimg helps the cars performance a bit. i have a stock 90 5.0 with just an x pipe and flow masters. would bumping the timing a few degrees help? how much should it do it? and what gains should i expect if any?
thanks
js

·
Registered
33 Posts
set it to ~14-16 degrees with the spout out. maybe more until you ping. you'll feel the difference. but, she'll want premium if you take it as far as you can.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I am about to add long tubes, prochamber, and ultra flows. How much will adding timing help? THanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have heard of even more power gains on a dyno from bumping the timing, it really does seem to wake up the car. I have heard of around 5 at the wheels, thats up at 10-15 at the motor. I usually set mine to 14 because the motor has around 100k on it, I have heard of going all the way to 18 with different setups, but 14 is safe. If you haven't done it before, pull that pill at the distributor with the car off, loosen the distributor hold down, start the car and set it at idle, turn off the car and tighten the hold down, replace the pill, restart it to check if you want. With the pill in it may give strange readings, the only way to truly see what it is set at is to pull the pill and use the light at idle. Another big help is to mark the balance where you want the timing somehow, I used a dot with a white out pen.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Litemup68 said:
If you haven't done it before, pull that pill at the distributor with the car off, loosen the distributor hold down, start the car and set it at idle, turn off the car and tighten the hold down, replace the pill, restart it to check if you want.
what does pulling the pill accomplish? i've always changed the timing with it connected. am i doing it incorrectly?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Pulling the spout or "pill" as you say, eliminates the computer's timing advance so that you can bump the initial timing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Summer is coming, so you may want to go conservative on your timing advance. 91 octane isn't what it used to be, after you set your timing, hit a hill in the middle of the afternoon just to be sure everything is going to be okay(floor it in 3rd @ operating temps).
There is nothing worse than getting punked by a rice rocket because you can't floor it without causing damage. I go a maximum of 12, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I was on the dyno yesterday and when I bumped mine from 16* to 18* I gained 4.5 HP and 6.2 TQ at the PEAKS. I gained an AVERAGE of 6.5 HP and 8.7 TQ through the entire RPM range. My motor is not stock by any means. I also have aluminum heads and a Crane ignition. Both allow more timing.

·
Registered
383 Posts
when i had my 95 cobra i had the timing set at 20 degrees. the car had heads, cam, blower on it. anything less than 18 an the car felt like hell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts