Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting heads, cam, and intake on motor. My father suggested pulling it all the way down and putting rings, bearing, and having the crank checked. I have 80k on the motor and I hate messing with the bottom end. How long do the stock bottoms run, it's never had N02 or blower on it. And it will not see it. I'm build a street motor, max rpm's 5500!!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you have it apart, I would say do it. If money is not a problem, look into having the crank lightened and balanced. It will make a world of difference in how the car runs. Hell, bore the motor, pick up some forged pistons, and make it a 306.

·
Registered
389 Posts
if your gonna pull it apart...its almost less work to buy a assembled short block from CHP or DSS for about $1600. i had 215K on my 89 gt and the motor still ran strong(good oil press,no smoke,good comp)...do a leak down test if its still in good shape just do the heads cam and intake..you should get at least another 40k strong miles out of it. Unless of course $$$ and time are no object then do the bottom end now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have had 3 5.0's and your motor sounds like it is just broke in!
if you want to spend money really bad then i guess you could go for it, but if it were me (cheap!!) I would spen it on somthing else for now, good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts