Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

While I was in college a buddy of mine blew up his stock fox and I picked it up for $1500. It has lots of goodies, tubular k member, control arms, baer brakes, etc..

It was too good to pass up.

Now I've graduated and its time to get to work. While I was in school working my part-time job I was able to scrounge and pick up a set of AFR 185 58cc heads set up for stud mounts and an eagle stroker kit with the 4340 forged crank. eagle h beams, and forged Mahle pistons. It feels like a pretty decent start but still a lot of parts left to get. The idea of nitrous has been kicked around a lot. I'm not sure what kind of power I'll be making but the last thing I want to do is turn my hard-earned money into a really interesting motor-themed coffee table with an interesting back story.

I've done some looking and some window shopping, my question is what is everyone's thoughts on the dart SHP block? Says its good for 600hp in comparison to the lottery of "stock will give up around 450-550". Just wanting to be safe instead of sorry.

Any input would be great

· Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Obviously, if your tune sucks, you can break a Dart Iron Eagle at lower power. There is a guy who runs a SBE 5.0 into the 8 sec range in the 1/4 mile. The tune is everything.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, literally the fastest and easiest answer I've ever gotten off a forum lol. Where I'm at there's not a whole bunch of notable tuners, mainly just people who get their name out through word of mouth. I've never messed with tuning personally. Still lots of research to do on that front.

· Registered
29 Posts
I have used probably 500-600 302 shp blocks. The 600hp rating is to create separation between the sportsman and shp. I havent used a sportsman in a long time because it offers nothing more than the shp for 99% of users. I think this is the reason for the comically low shp rating.
What would you say the shp could handle to the tires on boost and be able to live...given the tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Vendor
13,597 Posts
What would you say the shp could handle to the tires on boost and be able to live...given the tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If i had to guess without consequence, 1000-1100. The sportsman is no stronger. The bottom end of both.blocks is the same. Same thickness, same main caps. Hell the sportsman has a 7/16 main bolt hole versus the shp which is 1/2 inch

· Registered
4,893 Posts
Hey everyone,

While I was in college a buddy of mine blew up his stock fox and I picked it up for $1500. It has lots of goodies, tubular k member, control arms, baer brakes, etc..

It was too good to pass up.

Now I've graduated and its time to get to work. While I was in school working my part-time job I was able to scrounge and pick up a set of AFR 185 58cc heads set up for stud mounts and an eagle stroker kit with the 4340 forged crank. eagle h beams, and forged Mahle pistons. It feels like a pretty decent start but still a lot of parts left to get. The idea of nitrous has been kicked around a lot. I'm not sure what kind of power I'll be making but the last thing I want to do is turn my hard-earned money into a really interesting motor-themed coffee table with an interesting back story.

I've done some looking and some window shopping, my question is what is everyone's thoughts on the dart SHP block? Says its good for 600hp in comparison to the lottery of "stock will give up around 450-550". Just wanting to be safe instead of sorry.

Any input would be great
You're probably going to make between 450 and 500 on tthe motor, assuming flat top pistons. So it all depends on where you're wanting to go. I will say that most of the core blocks out there these days are junk. Gone are the days when I could buy 500 new stock blocks at a whack.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.