Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Cam was comp cams custom from previous owner so unknown. (run for 4 years)1.7 Ford rollers with perfect valve contact pattern and GT40y heads. Comp cam push rods measured to fit. But seems that the push rod is slightly bent, maybe improper shim of the rockers.
It is unlikely, with the keeper laying on the head, that the valve isn't bent. This is especially true if the pushrod is bent.

I'd run a leak down test on the cylinder that lost the valve spring assembly. My bet is it will blow air out that valve.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Thanks, I will leak down test and go from there. Gas is new and as always been kept fresh. Question: why would the rocker which did not hit the valve cover to start with all of sudden hit the cover after the broken spring. And if it passes leak down do i simply run a bucnh of oil through it and get as much of the debris out. New springs on the whole head of course.

The rocker hits the valve cover for one of two reasons:

1.) The pushrod acts like a spear being thrown by the cam, and no spring to stop the wayward movement or downward movement of the valve

2.) The push rod comes out of the cup recess, and pushes elsewhere on the rocker body where it lifts it more.

You can clean the head up first and flush the system with a lot of diesel fuel or kerosene if you are brave or lucky. You run a risk of real problems if you don't have a good fine mesh screen on the oil pump pickup or something small stays in the system.

I think you will be taking it apart, though. I think it is pretty likely the valve is bent.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts