Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what was left of my damper. This was the rubber strip that was laying on the floor of my garage. (The rest, I am assuming, is on the highway somewhere).

Everything is put back together and running great. I'll be ordering that aluminum driveshaft & safety loop next.

Sarah

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thank God the thing didn't fly apart while driving. That huge metal ring could cause some serious damage, if not killing someone.

·
Registered
672 Posts
OUCH! Glad nothing more serious happened!

·
Registered
713 Posts
The key is to replace your damper way before it even gets near that point. I suggest between 60 and 70k

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yours looks about as bad as mine. I changed mine out last month and post some pics on here. It was really f'd up.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My car is at 123K+. I think that stocker held up pretty admirably. That car is taking good care of me.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I got my Romac half way on right now. I gotta go get some washers to pull it on. Mine was still in one piece at least. You were lucky :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
That happened to my last car and 6 months later my crank broke and cracked the block. It was a big mess. Pay close attention to any low end knocking after you replace the balancer because depending on how long it was run while feeling a vibration, you could have worn down the main bearing and it could blow like mine did. Just a little warning.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BLP-

I was having vibration at highway speeds. I thought it was from my gear swap... But a few weeks later, when we went to start up the car - it started shaking BAD. Like the doors were going to fall off. But we didn't know that it was the damper. We didn't panic until we saw the timing marks on the outer part - then we knew we were in trouble!

6 months later you had trouble? I thought I was out of the woods since nothing bad happened yet?!? Is there anything I can do to prevent further problem? The water pump has a flat spot worn on it from the rubbing.

I want to order a new long block - but not this soon!

-Sarah

·
Registered
98 Posts
You need to pay close attention to any knocking that sounds like it is coming form the bottom end and I also experienced some high speed vibration even after replacing my balancer. Other than that you can only cross your fingers and hope nothing got damaged.

·
Registered
657 Posts
puckbunny said:
Is there anything I can do to prevent further problem? The water pump has a flat spot worn on it from the rubbing.

I want to order a new long block - but not this soon!

-Sarah
Nope, besides rebuild the bottom end.

·
Registered
269 Posts
When you buy an after-market piece just remember that a 6 5/8 inch dampner is too big. Go with a Romac, they are 6 1/4 inch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts