Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of upgrading the brakes on my 85 because they suck! LOL Don't really need anything to crazy and don't have a lot of money to spend on them right now. What would you guys recomend as an inexpensive upgrade for a 85 5.0 with 15 inch wheels??

·
Registered
885 Posts
oh, if you want to keep it four-lug (for some odd reason) id go with the 93 cobra setup. Four-lug 11" fronts and TC rears

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Up front, there is no upgrades for the stock spindles and rotors you have. Start saving the pennies.

Out back you can go disc, but here is the deal. If you have to swap out the spindles, you might as well go to the Sn95 stuff and upgrade to 5 lug in the process with new wheels and tires. more selection of wheels, better brakes and a modular design there.

My suggestion is to really consider the 5 lug swap, it will pay off in the long run.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
For CHEAP, but GOOD:

Stay with 4-lug. I love my 10- holes (now that only fit my t-bird)!

You HAVE to change your front spindle. Your best bet is to get 87-93 spindles (dirt cheap), new 11" rotors, new bearings & seal, and the 73mm calipers (See Matt's awesome web site). You'll then have Very Good brakes. You'll either need 87-93 struts, or get spacers to adapt the pre-87 strut spindle mounting area to the smaller 87+ spindle mounting ear.

Don't worry about the back. You'll get only a little (~10%) better braking. Plus, it's much more work.

If you go 5-lug, add in the cost of rims, A SPARE, and MOUNTING AND BALANCING! Your 87-93 spindle and caliper upgrade will be Cheaper than the cost to go to 5-lug. If you go to sn-95 front, add in an ALIGNMENT!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If you want to go 4 wheel disc and stay 4 lug, you may want to try what I've been THINKING of for YEARS!! (Never done it, though) :(

Do the swap to 87-93 as mentioned elsewhere in this post using the 73mm calipers and get the SSB rear disc brake kit which keeps your stock rear track. The TC axle gives you about 1.5" more track in the rear (.75" per side?). Also, use stainless steel brake lines front and rear and you should have a decent setup.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts