Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I need bigger brakes. 92gt. Ive always thought theses stock brakes were okay but Im running my buddies f-thing and I seem to run out of friction about 2 seconds after applying the brakes(from 100 down). Ive rebuilt completley and installed carbon metalic pads. They work great after theyre heated up,but something goes bad over 80 or so and theres a knock. I guess a rotor or drum warps when superheated. After stopping they work ok again. Ive never had this happen on any of my big Fords(67Gal,79F100,79Ranchero,68&65Galaxies). Ive got those pads on my truck and from 100 they will stand you on your nose.I cant afford those trick new brakes but I like junkyardstuff. I also dont want to loose my oe wheels,I like em. How about redrilled lincoln brakes or something? ps ,My 79 F100 runs low 14s at 92 or so. does that sound good or not?:confused:

·
Banned
3,819 Posts
you've got a lot of options ranging from really cheep to really really expensive

A good and inexpensive option is to upgrade your front calipers tp 73mm lincoln LSC units, and some hawk pads (or equivilant) I've seen these for under 20$ a side.

From there a set of rear discs are always nice, you have several options here from Turbo Coupe/SVO mustang rears to retrofitting 94+ rear disks (which would be 5 lug) I belive there are a few other junk yard options as well for rear discs.

Of course you can always find a 94+ and do a complete swap (you need 94-95 spindles however as 96+ would extend the wheels a little to far past the fenders) and With any of these setups you can add the 99+ calipers which i belive are twin piston, or go up to the 13" cobra/bullitt front brakes.

If money is no object for your ride then theres the full cobra disk brake upgrade (m-2300-k) from ford racing. This is what Ihave and lemmie tell ya man, they are awesome! They will set you back about 1600$ new tho.

Baer is at the top of the list but you really pay thru the nose for em!

hope this helps!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. Ill bet theres a good mag article somewhere on this. Ill have to stick to the jy stuff for now. Turbo coupe sounds promissing. I cant believe these stink so bad. After driving this for 7 years I finally noticed.

·
Banned
3,819 Posts
you think your brakes are bad, try driving a 79-85 some time hehe

The turbo couple rear discs and some 73mm caliipers up front would be a grood setup.

good luck dude

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.