Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear brakes started squelaing the other day so i decided to replace all the pads as well as the front rotors since theyre warped and the pads are still the original ones. The problem is i cant get either of the front caliper mounting bolts off to remove the caliper, or just the anchor bolt so i can at least replace the pads. Ive tried PB blaster and both a breaker bar and impact wrench and the anchor bolts wont budge. Ive already ruined 2 T-50s. The other problem is i cant screw in the piston on the rear calipers, and now the caliper wont even go over the old pads let alone the new ones. I bought the tool (the cube one) and none of the sides fit onto the piston. I even went and compared it to ones in other stores to see if it was the same size as theirs and it was. I also tried pliers but i could barley get it to spin. The tool in the haynes manual looks like a T handled one but everyone said the cube tool would work. Does anyone have any tips or tricks they could share from their experiences?????

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
634 Posts
first off the cube thing sucks ass. very hard to get to work right.

dumb question, u are turning the socket the right way? righty tughty lefty loosey. if u remove the brake line from the caliper and be very carefull u can try to use a small propane torch to heat the caliper/bracket area up where the anchor bolt goes into
also see if u can get a nice high quality T-50 bit. i went through a ton of cheap ones before my calipers came off.

now the rear brakes. u can use a large pair of channel lock pliers and grab the piston and turn it clockwise. before i became a mechanic i used needle nose pliers. put the tips in the recessed areas and turned clockwise. sometimes it helps if u turn it counter clockwise (move it out) and then in. also try opening the bleeder valve and turn the piston in. u can get the real tool from a tool truck like snap on, matco, mac, cornwell, etc... but its like $80-100 and u have to get access to the truck or try online

maybe this might help

Blake

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Ok - cool tip of the day:

Unbolt the rear caliper, take off the rotor, loosly bolt the caliper back on without the rotor (finger tight is fine).

Now it's a piece of cake to use the cube tool to crank in the piston.

Take the caliper back off and re-assemble with the pads.

Shawn

·
Registered
486 Posts
My rear calipers were shot on my Vert, and I also found them to be shot on my friend's Cobra. They all had to be replaced, and I experience that same problem as you (not being able to turn them back into the bores). I was able to do it easily on my 95 GT Coupe, so I knew something was wrong when I spun the piston 20 times and it didn't move.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried again today after i borrowed the correct tool from my dads friend. This one is a circle and fits perfectly(its a little wider). After trying a few times i finally got it to turn and the rear brake is back on, new pads and all. The front caliper on the other hand is still giving me trouble. I let the PB blaster do its stuff overnight but the caliper mounting bolts still wont budge. I gave up on the anchor bolt for now since a lot of threads ive read say they dont even bother touching them anymore and just take out the mounting bolts. Thanks for all the advice.

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts