Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brake fluid leak that I cannot track down for the life of me, it is spraking all over my drivers side header, brake booster, and master cylinder. I have replaced the master cylinder, its not that...any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Have a helper stand on the brakes while you stand in front of the car and study the m/c area and the lines coming out of it. If it was leaking before you changed the m/c I'd wonder if you have a split in a line or something crazy like that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You just dont wanna lose to me no more.

Tried that.
When someone stands on the brake pedal, nothing oozes, sprays, or leaks out of anywhere...but thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
848 Posts
So, nothing leaks when pressure is on the system. So, when would it leak? You sure it's just not an overfilled master cylinder that overflows when it heats up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, its not overfilled...sitting just below max, and there is never any fluid on the top, or the sides of the resivor. Just around the brake booster, and all over the header, plug wires, etc. doesnt look like any of the fittings are leaking, either.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Are you sure it is brake fluid? Brake fluid will peel any paint that it touches for a prolonged period.

It could be something like the power steering pump or leaking valve cover gaskets. Could also be oil from the dipstick tube. My suggestion is to really clean the engine bay with a few cans of engine cleaner. Then drive for a day and find the leaks. If you are losing that much fluid, you will find a fluid reservior going down. Check the PS level and the dip stick.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took it for the free brake inspection, (two of them actually) and one said master cylinder, the other (after I changed my master cylinder said that a bunch of fluid seems to have gotten into the brake booster, and it was just residual fluid dripping out. hmmmm, I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
339 Posts
So are going to try any of the above or is your car just going to sit under the car cover and fix itself.

P.S. Going to the track???

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did try all those things.

She is back on the road...albiet with leaking brake fluid. The only possible option is that I got a bad remanufactured replacement master cylinder.

Oh yeah, its open the 25th right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts