Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 97 Cobra which is super low miles and has some old braided fuel line that really smells bad. I'd like to know thoughts on which lines I should use to replace existing. Pushlock? Teflon lined AN? Braided again (just new), I've browsed around and there are so many opinions on this. I'll primarily be using pump gas and may switch up to e85 in the near future, depending upon how much more power I want to go. I'd really like to not smell fuel at all if possible, i'd like the longest lasting. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Most likely the braided line is rubber. Over time the ethanol in modern gas breaks it down and the smell permeates from the rubber. If you run e85 you start getting the smell fairly fast. Your best bet is to either replace the lines with OEM replacements or convert to teflon/PTFE braided lines. All of my braided lines are PTFE. I get no fuel smell.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I used PTFE (teflon). More of a pain to put fittings on, but no smell and it flows better for the same diameter compared to rubber.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
If you are going to use E85 and you use Teflon hose, you need to get the type which is carbon lined, so that it becomes conductive. If you use any braided hose other than Teflon, you will have some fuel smell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any specific manufactures you guys recommend? I need to re-do the entire fuel system routing. From the A1000 to the rails. Appreciate the info

·
Registered
698 Posts
Since siliconeintakes.com is in my back yard I use them. I just order and drive over. Their PTFE lines have carbon in them, and their fittings are pretty good quality. I use their aluminum pipe, couplers, vbands, and other fab stuff, not their intercoolers though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts