Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, in the not so distant future, I will be pulling the high mile 3.8 from the 04 and swapping in my resealed 95 SC 3.8. Before I install the motor, I am going to port the heads and maybe install some roller rockers. I do have a question on the headers from the stocker n/a 3.8. Are they sufficient for the SC 3.8, will they even bolt up to the SC heads? Or should I go aftermarket? I do still have the SC exhaust manifolds, but not sure if they can be made to fit in the Fox body (SN-95, new edge).

I plan on going with an aftermarket intercooler, and likely convert to true duals with MAC cat-back. I may even consider a cam swap, just not sure what is available.

Thought, ideas, criticism and advice are welcome.

Thanks everyone!

BTW, this is an auto car and I will be doing the JMOD on either the SC transmission or the 04 trans, not sure which yet.

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
Well, that's a new one on me. Didn't realize those were the same motors. How will you control the fueling? No idea on the exhaust, just an interesting swap to me.

I'd be surprised if the SC headers would work, as the MN12 platform is different from the new edge cars. And I have no idea if they are interchangeable between the two motors.

Good luck with the project, although it seems like a 2 valve swap would be far easier to source and do.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I do have a question on the headers from the stocker n/a 3.8. Are they sufficient for the SC 3.8, will they even bolt up to the SC heads? Or should I go aftermarket?
Your '04 has the later, upgraded 3.8L with different heads. Looking at exhaust manifold gaskets on rockauto.com, the '04 3.8 gaskets are not the same as the '95 3.8SC gaskets. Whether one could make the two play together, I don't know - can't tell from the pics of the gaskets whether the bolt patterns are the same and it's just that the ports are shaped differently (round vs somewhat D-shaped) or what. Maybe just buy a manifold gasket for the '04 and see how it lines up with the '95 heads?

I would imagine the 3.8SC would benefit from improved headers, and there are aftermarket headers available for the V6s, so depending on how the gasket test fit looks, maybe you could get some New Edge V6 headers and bolt them up to the '95 heads.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The 2003 and 04 Mustang V6 4R70W's should have the J'mod done to them already. I was told that and got a 89k 03 model for my Lincoln project.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have some experience with the SC engine. The mustang V6 headers for earlier cars will fit the SC heads and I would bet they will fit in your car just fine. Porting the SC heads is not really time well spent, the ports are huge already although the bowl could be opened up, you will get more fun out of adding a camshaft instead of the rocker arms, the duration of the stock cam is tiny and increasing that duration makes for a bit of power.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Your '04 has the later, upgraded 3.8L with different heads.
in 2004 there were two V6's offered for the Mustang. One was the 3.8 and the other a 3.9. They are really very similar but the 3.9 had a slightly longer stroke. The power difference is neglible. Someone who used to work for Ford told me that the change was because they had a supply of 3.9's for the windstars and decided to use up the 3.8's and then if needed for a mid-year production use the 3.9's.

Mine had a 3.9. It had 401,000 miles on it when I sold it. I was pretty impressed with it given that my expectations for it were pretty low. I mean, after all, it did make more power than some of the fox body V8's did, and got 27mpg to boot. More toward 30 if you drove it right. I hated the sound of the engine as I hate the sound of any V6. The best exhaust for any V6 is a quiet one. Rotary muffler sure helps too.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Mine had a 3.9. It had 401,000 miles on it when I sold it. ... I hated the sound of the engine as I hate the sound of any V6. The best exhaust for any V6 is a quiet one. Rotary muffler sure helps too.
V6 sound, yeah, add more cats, resonators, cross over, full tail pipes, and the quietest muffler you can. Then they aren't too bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts