Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm picking up my Crimson Red 40th Anniversary convertible tonight. Other than gutting the crappy Mach 460 audio system for a real aftermarket setup (Alpine/Rockford), whats first? Bassani exhaust? 3.73 rear end?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
9,089 Posts
Shifter, exhaust, possibly look into the 1-2 clunk TSB about to come out.....

·
Registered
807 Posts
Gears, LTs, mid pipe, Cat back, Shifter

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, I did not accept the car. For anyone that lives in the Detroit area, AVOID ATCHINSON FORD (and Demmer, Blackwell, Village)!!!

They totally screwed me over tonight, with cash in my hand for the car too!

The car was mint last night, but tonight the entire decklid was severly scratched and the front bottom edge of the drivers door was bent (from ice the moron mechanic said).

So, they offered to bend the sheetmetal back (!!!) and buff the decklid...I could see this on a used car, but this is brand freakin' new.
Ford dealers suck, this was the only one I was really considering too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow BUMMER!!!! I don't blame you for not taking the car.

I bought my 03 GT vert because it was a leftover at a dealer that mostly sells trucks... It was November. I got a great price.

The car was fine... but had tons of little scratches (some not so little) from being on the lot for 7 months and constant washing. The dealer was a pain, they wouldn't even take off their sticker off the back even though it's a law in my state. They said I "stole" the car because I only paid them invoice less the rebate. I just took it off myself.

After I had a few mods done at home, the service manager told me it was "no problem" to put in the Steeda lowering kit for me... but after I ordered the parts they couldn't do it for "warranty issues". SHEESH!

Anyway, I brought the car down to my friends at the Street Rod building shop, they lowered it, aligned it, and did all the mods I didn't want to do myself. They even buffed it out without my asking before I got it back.... They had it for a total of a couple days.

Meanwhile, I get a letter from the dealership inviting me in for oil change and maintenance... included in the letter were "cupons" for half price on oil and brake work ... But.. the cupons expired the day before they mailed me the letter! Sheesh.

Keep looking.. you'll find the car you want.... Once you do.. just get it the heck out of the dealership's hands!

Rick

·
Registered
715 Posts
Those Ford dealerships are weird i guess every where, I think FORD should do something about it. Iam dealing with a stupid dealership, they are so touchy feely about warranty stuff that if i put a damn sticker on the car they will void my warranty.

·
Registered
749 Posts
very nice - love the color
if you still needed mod advice - subframe connectors really helped in my opinion, but gears are a must for these cars - I went with 4.10's

good luck with your new car

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would get a shifter, 4.10's, long tube headers, and x pipe. You will love the gears and exhaust. They are the two best mods i have done.

·
Registered
63 Posts
subframe connectors from www.maximummotorsports.com
pro 5.0 shifter. (assuming it's a 5 spd?)
GEARS!!! No less than 4.10. The recent trend is 4.30
These are pretty much the 3 must haves.

after that, are you looking for better: looks, power, or handling?

p.s. - still gutting the mach 460? I'll pay the shipping if you send it to me!

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
how much are you picking up from the gears? do you need a chip for them?

are there any longtubes that are stupid easy to take on and off?

what do you guys think about prom 77? WDYT about c&l plenum?

in 5.0rag test they got some big gains from maf, plenum, carback, and longtubes

I'm very curious how much faster the gears make the car, it seems gears good now

·
Registered
749 Posts
Gears need a "speed calibrator" for '99 and up - you can get them from Dallas Mustang or Brothers.
I've heard long tubes are a pain but do-able
I would stay away from a MAF mod unless you would go with a power adder. I've heard of some gains with the intake/TB mod (5-8 hp)

Finally, gears made my car feel like a different car

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here are some more pics of the car, just threw together a quick website.

http://mlav.com/new/cars/mustang/

Check out my car pic site, it has over 6000 pics that I have taken over the years...

http://mlavander.tripod.com/cars.htm

As far as the Mach 460, I'm starting to like it more, so maybe it'll stay a bit longer, but eventually, sayonara! Alpine headunit, Rockford or MB Quart door/rear speakers, two 10" or 12" Rockford HE2 subs and a couple of amps to run it all. Or maybe I'll just add an amp and subs to the Mach 460 for now...just did that for my dad's ZTW and girlfriends ZX3 with the stock 6 disc in the dash. If you get the Rockford amps with the remote bass control, you can dump the bass way down on the front speakers and crank up the subs level to avoid blowing any front speakers. The Mach 460 has some very week mid-bass and vocals just flat out suck. Its all low bass and treble with little mid.

·
Registered
297 Posts
dp

1 - 20 of 23 Posts