Ford Mustang Forums banner

bottom line-which clutch cable to buy?

736 views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  87TTopGT 
#1 · (Edited)
I did a search and I think I'm more confused now than before. My 89 w/63K miles is hard to shift and I get a little grind every now and then.

I'm assuming the cable is stretched. I'm leaning toward the OEM ford cable, but I want as few problems as possible. Money isn't an issue, but I don't want to waste it.

I want a smooth and easy shifting setup.

thanks

I also like this one, what do you think?http://www.maximummotorsports.com/cq.asp#cables

#2 ·
The OEM cable is the only way to go although I have heard some good stuff about the MM cable(s). I have tried every other cable out there and they all have been junk. Everyone bitches about the new Ford cable being made in Taiwan, but it is just as good as the previous Canadian-made cable (the ones with the purple tape band). You can pay $160 at the dealer for the E4ZZ-7K553-A cable or you can get the FRPP kit, M-7553-B302, that includes the same cable AND a new clutch fork for about $60!

#3 ·
In searching, you should have found that the only cable to get is a genuine FORD cable. A lot of people who've bought adjustable ones, and parts-store cables have had them quickly stretch and/or break.

If you still have the stock quadrant, you can try the ole' 'pull up on the clutch pedal' trick, and see if there's any of the automatic adjustment left in your current cable. Give that a try first.

Wade

#4 ·
92Pony said:
In searching, you should have found that the only cable to get is a genuine FORD cable. A lot of people who've bought adjustable ones, and parts-store cables have had them quickly stretch and/or break.

If you still have the stock quadrant, you can try the ole' 'pull up on the clutch pedal' trick, and see if there's any of the automatic adjustment left in your current cable. Give that a try first.

Wade
I did just that and it helped out a lot. I never heard "click" like someone told me, but it definitely shifts better.

Is this b/c the cable is stretching or the quadrant is wearing?

thanks for the help

#6 ·
jrgoffin said:
Everyone bitches about the new Ford cable being made in Taiwan, but it is just as good as the previous Canadian-made cable (the ones with the purple tape band).
Am I allowed to bitch?

That's 4 months of non daily driver use of the Ford Motorsport piece. It was made in Taiwan and had the purple band around the sheath.

I do not have an answer on this subject yet.

#7 ·
92Pony said:
My understanding is that it's the cable stretching, and by pulling up on the pedal, you allow the stock pawl/quadrant setup to adjust itself via a "ratchet"-action.

Glad that worked for you - don't you love easy fixes?!? :)

Wade
easy is great; easy and free is awesome.

thanks

#8 ·
91notch, are you using the stock quadrant. The MM website makes it seem like some of the aftermarket quadrants can pinch the cable and cause it to break.

that's a lot of the reason I didn't want to change my setup.

thanks again

#9 ·
Use a genuine Ford cable. Every other cable is pure garbage. All the adj. cables seem to be made by the same manufacturer or two and then companies just label them with their own name (Steeda, FRPP, etc). I went through 3 adj. cables....all stretched and broke. I put a Ford cable in and zero problems, no significant stretching at all. Steeda or anyone else literally couldn't pay me to use those crappy adj cables again. Not only are the Ford cables superior to the adj ones but they're also less expensive.

#10 ·
1 vote for an after-market.

I've been running a BBK cable with the alum. quadrant for almost 10 years now and just love it - the pedal feel is awesome. Absolutley no stretching at all. Maybe I got lucky... Mark

#12 ·
I am using the BBK adjust and aluminum quad also on my 82. It's been on for almost 6 years and I have yet to adjust the nut. I am running the FMS cable quad on my vert. It is stretched I cant use the dust cover.

#13 ·
Head to the wrecker and pick up as many stock clutch cables as you can.

In my experience, they are the only cables that last.

#14 ·
another vote for the BBK adjustable cable and quadrant! (also get a firewall adjuster to save u lots of grief, i got the upr) One complaint about it is my own fault... I lubed the cable with white lithium grease in the summer since i had the cable out neways.. One it got 10 degrees out, i found that grease likes to get thick and make my clutch pedal feel like in a damn semi until the heat got to the cable and warmed it up.. than it was like butter :D

#15 ·
My vote is for aftermarket but here is the deal. You must use spacers behind the quadrant so that it lines up when its installed and has a perfectly strait pull on the cable. Then make sure its zip tied out of the way of exhaust and doesnt have any sharp bends in it. Use a firewall adjuster and a bbk or frpp quadrant and cable.

#16 ·
Aftermarket- one day (speaking from experience) you will run out of adjustment on that stock clutch setup. I have a buddy with an 03 Cobra, we both put in the Steeda kit with quadrant, firewall adjuster and cable within two weeks of each other last year and LOVE it! The old cable was gummed up and sticky, the new one is Teflon lined and slicker than two eels humping in a bucket of snot. :D
BTW, I understand the cable in this is aircraft-grade capable of 10,000 pounds tensile strength- if you can break that there is no need for a car to get you around!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.