Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I need to get a different brand bottle warmer. My ZEX takes almost an hour to raise bottle pressure from 600psi to 800psi on a 60 degree day.

Is this normal because it seems awfully slow. The ZEX warmer stays at 80 degrees to warm the bottle. It takes too long to raise the bottle pressure at that temp. What is a good fast bottle warmer?

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
i just use a compucar warmer...no thermostat...i just have it wired up to switch and relay. I takes about 5-10min to raise a 10lb bottle pressue 100psi. I just watch the bottle gauge..then turn it off once it is were i want it. I would take the thermostat off your warmer if there is one wired into it.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
I have an NX thremostat warmer, and it works great. It heats up from 600 psi to 850 in about 15-20 minutes, depending on how cold it is outside. I also have a Compucar 110 V warmer that works in a matter of minutes. We use that at the dyno because it heats the bottle so quickly between pulls.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Jeff88coupe said:
i just use a compucar warmer...no thermostat...i just have it wired up to switch and relay. I takes about 5-10min to raise a 10lb bottle pressue 100psi. I just watch the bottle gauge..then turn it off once it is were i want it. I would take the thermostat off your warmer if there is one wired into it.
What he said I use a old NOS heater thats about 1/3 the size of most heating pads they sell now, it only takes about 20 mins if its parked to get the pressure up to 1000psi on the coldest days, for some reason it takes less time if I have it on while driving. Most thermostats are placed so close to the heating pad that it regulates the pad to 80* and not the bottle.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I agree, I had a NOS warmer that always took forever but I then took off the thermostats and heating time dropped substantially less. I just watched it rise and shut the heater off when it hit 1000psi

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
You need an insulating jacket around the bottle as well, if you want to warm it up fast.

Joe

·
Registered
379 Posts
i stick mine in a bathtub, raise the pressure to about 1200psi. THen by the time I get out to the hangout and find me a race, it drops down to 900-950 or so.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
the only thing compu-car makes that is worth a crap is the bottle heater.i heat mine with a torch the first time and the maintain it with the compu-car bottel heater.

·
Registered
117 Posts
nastynotchback1 said:
the only thing compu-car makes that is worth a crap is the bottle heater.i heat mine with a torch the first time and the maintain it with the compu-car bottel heater.
I realize alot of people street race, so what NHRA rules say won't mean much; however, as a former NHRA tech, you would have had to give me the torch or load up the car at my track. Even if track rules don't matter because you street race think about this. A little over 9 years ago, I had the unfortunate chance to witness first hand what I already knew "torching" a bottle can do (they are not made for that type of direct heat). Over some time, a racer had been heating his bottle with a torch time and again with no problems and it worked like a charm just like "all" the other guys do. We were in a parking lot and he was getting ready to race so he fired up the torch to heat it up before they went out to race. The bottle had weakened over time and ruptured sending shrapnel like a hand grenade. He lost his left hand and arm up to his elbow, lost his left eye and is legally blind in the other, has been through countless surgeries to repair the side of his face, nose, and lips due to them looking like hamburger meat when it was all over. He is also completely deaf in one ear and extremely hard of hearing in the other ear now, not to mention all the scars over the upper half of his body. He was lucky he was not killed, though he often wishes now he had been. Please take this as a warning, not coming down on you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use a waterbed heater. It heats up pretty fast and was cheap.
I have a inverter that i use for long days at the track to keep it warm between runs.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Ok, Ok, I was typing too fast and typed the wrong thing. My NX warmer is NOT thermostatically controlled, it is pressure controlled. It has a regulator that when it senses the preset bottle pressure it shuts off the heater element. Then when the pressure drops down, it turns back on again. That's why it gets so much pressure so quickly.
Yes, bottle warmers work more efficiently when you are driving, because the alternator is putting out more voltage than your battery is alone.
That story of the guy with his bottle and a torch is just sad. I tell customers to NEVER do that, but sometimes it just falls on deaf ears. "That'll never happen to me, that guy was just stupid or something", is what they'll say.... It's a shame to see anyone get injured that severely while enjoying their hobby. Especially when a bottle warmer is so cheap and easy to hook up.

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
Try heating your bottle in 30 degree temps....

Thats a pain!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts