Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know everyone has their own opinion about everything but some here tend to think the BOSS 302's and the 351 clevelands weren't or aren't that fast, i tend to differ. i've owned a 70 BOSS 302 and had several friends with Mach 1's with 351 4V and i always thought they were pretty quick. since i sold it years ago i never got to pull it up to a red light with one of the late models to see how it compared. i know i'm pretty much "old school" but was wondering what some owners of some BOSS's and 351 4V's think ? i'm new to the new ford hi-performance but recently purchased a 95 GT and was in the 94-95 tech forum and a member wanted to know the differences in the regular 302 and the BOSS 302 and several members thought it pretty stupid to want to build one and it ended up in a debate. any opinions on how they compare today?

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I understand you want to know how a Boss 302 compares performance wise to a new Mustang 4.6?

Without a doubt the Boss 302 compares poorly. Magazines of the time put the Boss 302 at about high 14's in the quarter while the new Mustangs are high 13'2/low 14's.

The new engines also get much better fuel economy and incredibly lower emissions.

Of course, having said that, there is no comparison for the cool factor of a solid lifter cam on a Boss 302 :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've got a 91 LX 5.0 and a 1970 Mach1 with a 351- 4V. I think that the 91 is a lot faster. I still love the Mach though!

·
Registered
156 Posts
pprince said:
If I understand you want to know how a Boss 302 compares performance wise to a new Mustang 4.6?

Without a doubt the Boss 302 compares poorly. Magazines of the time put the Boss 302 at about high 14's in the quarter while the new Mustangs are high 13'2/low 14's.

The new engines also get much better fuel economy and incredibly lower emissions.

Of course, having said that, there is no comparison for the cool factor of a solid lifter cam on a Boss 302 :)
The 4.6 has quite a bit less HP than the boss 302 , so there are obviously other factors here. Including the fact that the boss was not built to be a drag car, but a trans-am racer instead. And its handling would rival a late model. Tires of the time and the fact that it only had a 4 speed also more than likely a factor in that also...

·
Registered
264 Posts
They also changed the horsepower ratings gross to net in hte 70's so the Boss probably does't make as much power as it is rated. Has anybody read the rear wheel dyno tests of cars that were stock or close to stock that they ran in Mustang and Ford magazine a few years ago?

·
Registered
156 Posts
jshoop said:
They also changed the horsepower ratings gross to net in hte 70's so the Boss probably does't make as much power as it is rated. Has anybody read the rear wheel dyno tests of cars that were stock or close to stock that they ran in Mustang and Ford magazine a few years ago?
FWIW, the BOSS was underrated by up to 100 hp. As most cars of that day were, and all of the Trans-am cars were...

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Yes the Boss 302 was very good performance wise, 30 years ago.

Everything about it is outdated now. 4 cylinder front wheel drive production cars can beat a Boss 302.

But IMO nothing made today is nearly as cool.

edit: also, the change from gross to net horsepower ratings makes the Boss 302 look better than it really was. I don't know whether it was underrated or not, I have heard that some cars of the era were. They all ended up being slow barges, anyhow because the suspension, tires, brakes, EVERYthing was crappy compared to modern stuff.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I wasn't trying to cut the Boss down, I think that they are cool cars. I was just saying that I don't think that there is a lot of difference in power between it and the new Mustangs. They dyno test a Boss in the issues of Mustang and Fords that I was talking about and it comes out shy of the factory 290hp rating by several horses. They got 210hp at the wheels. The article stated that this would be roughly 253hp at the flywheel. In defense of the Boss though they said that it could use a little freshing up because the timing chain was a little stretched and the timing was jumping. The articles I was talking about is in the January 1999 and June 1999 of Mustang and Fords. Another interesting article to check out is the May 1999 issue, it has alist of the top 50 fastest Fords. They are all pretty interesting articles, definitely worth checking out!

·
Registered
556 Posts
The boss is is a cool car but was never ment to be a drag car, i thinks its hard to compare them when there is a 30 year difference in technology also. But if a boss and a late modle mustang raced, the late modle would win. All of the old mustangs were not that fast. The faster of the group was running low 13's, and now we have factory mustangs getting into 12's. One great thing about the older mustangs is they always look good and there value always goes up!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think the early motors never took advantage of the heads. Boss 302 came with rev limiters that held them back. It's purpose was to run Trans Am. To be legal they had to build street models. Clevelands need very little to wake them up, but stock you see no where near there potential. I think both where starter kits for serious hp. I don't think anything from 30 years ago compares to things from today.

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,739 Posts
I had a 351-4V in my '71 Mach 1 and after I did the usual cam, headers, intake, etc., the car would blow the doors off of any late model Mustang except for perhaps one that was blown. Now I've got a 408 stroker in my '71 and it will definitely eat anything on the road!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Id put money on a stock boss 351 over a stock 99+gt in a drag race. The boss 302 had some good parts just needed alot of help to get them to run like they should.

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,739 Posts
Boss 351 was a serious motor... I think most modern Yates style heads that are available today are just an evolution of the 351C heads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts