Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about what plugs to run in my mustang. First off I've been trying to find out for a while now what heads I have. As far as I know they are 86 castings. I can't find any numbers on them except 17, and an 81. They have the pedistal mount rocker arms. At first I bought plugs for an 87 up 5.0 the autolite 24's. They were too short and didn't even thread into the head, so I bought the autolites for an 86 5.0 the 2545's. I compared these to the Bosch Platinums HR9DPX's that are in the car now. The autolites are longer than the platinums by about 2/8". I don't know if the platinums are supposed to be shorter than the autolites or not. I never put the platinums in my car they were in when I bought it, so they might not be the right plugs. Does anyone know if the platinums are shorter? this might be a dumb question but will it make a difference if the autolites are longer. Oh yeah one last thing I know my heads aren't the GT40 or the GT40P's because they don't have the bars on the front, so I don't know what else they would be besides the 86 castings. I'm stomped on what plugs to run so any advice would be great. thanks

Ignore the ported E7 part below, because I now know they aren't E7's

·
Registered
877 Posts
i think you would see a ford logo if you took the valve covers off. other than that they could be world products windsor jr heads or something. i would ditch the bosch plugs as they aren't worth anything. i only recommend them to those i hate or love to beat really bad. i usually run a motorcraft plug and change them more often since they are so cheap. i have also heard recently good things about the denso iridium plugs.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Alot of people disagree, but me and a few friends have been using Bosch Platinums for years. They have performed real well, and the only reason I dont run them anymore is because Im running n2o and they say to stay away from platinum plugs. I have heard alot of bad things from others, but thats just the opinion of me and 3 other guys who like them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
casting number

this is because the casting number is on the bottum of the head on the block side

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still trying to figure out what plugs to run. The heads have to be E6, 1986 castings since the hole for the plugs is in further than the 1985 E5's and the 1987-1995 E7's, and they aren't GT40's or the p's. does anyone know if any other small block ford head had pedistal mount rocker arms? Also if anyone ever switched from platinums to different plugs were the platinums shorter than the other plugs? thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
heads

the D7TE and D8TE have ped mount rockers on them they are late 70 mi 80 heads found on 302 and 351w they are kind of crappy heads unless you do some work to them and get some pop up pistons i have 2 sets of these

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.