Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know a good performance or good tuning book or video for a 5.0 mustang? I am interested in buying a book or video to help with performance/tuning needs.Also building motros etc. I bought a haynes manuel but it doesn't help worth crap really. Anyone know any good ones

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
"Mustang Performance Handbook" vol's 1 and 2 by Mathis. I'd also look for the book "How to Tune and Modify Ford Fuel Injection", I forget the author. Other staples in any library would be a Haynes manual or, even better, a genuine Ford service manual. "How to Rebuild Your Smallblock Ford" by Haynes and probably having a VIN and build code decoder would be handy too.

Carson

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I had the first Mathis book (I think it was Vol. 1) and I didn't really like it that much. It had a lot of tech stuff, but no "how tos" really, well, a little, but not what I expected. :(

·
Registered
240 Posts
subscribing.

I kind of agree with Fast90LXStang... I wasn't hugely impressed with Vol 1. either. Looking at bn.com Vol2 is for chassis/suspension mods.

Another book I saw on bn.com is:
"The Official Ford Mustang 5.0: Technical Reference & Performance Handbook" by Al Kirschenbaum.

Anybody have this book and care to comment on it? From the description it looks pretty useful - especially for a n00b like me.

I also have the 5.0L Ford Dyno Tests which compares different aftermarket products such as MAF meters and whatnot. It's ok but it's not a how-to book.

One book I have that I really like is Engine Builders Handbook (forget who it's buy) - very good for a n00b like me who needs to learn the basics of engine mechanics.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Vol 1 from Mathis is pretty basic and just explains some of the more simple mods available to Mustangs (hell, they used an old BBK Instacharger in one example). Vol 2 deals strictly for making your 'stang handle. If you like turning then vol 2 is kind of the "bible" for Mustangs. There's other books out there like "Driving to Win" and "Tuning to Win" that aren't Mustang specific but could be applied to everyday use of your car. The "How to Tune and Modify Ford Fuel Injection" by Probst is probably the single biggest book you should have. I've also got "5.0 Projects" by Mark Houlahan and it's a decent read. A lot of the mods are a little on the "old" side but that's what happens with printed material, eventually it becomes dated.

Carson

·
Registered
240 Posts
"How to Tune and Modify Ford Fuel Injection" is written by Ben Watson... is that the one your talking about?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
SoulCrusher said:
"How to Tune and Modify Ford Fuel Injection" is written by Ben Watson... is that the one your talking about?
I thought there was another Ford EFI book out there that was written by some dude with the last name Probst. I may have to google it to get my answer. Is the book by Watson white and have a pic of a Fox Mustang on the cover?

Carson

·
Registered
240 Posts
No I'm looking at it on bn.com and it's like rainbow colored :confused: blue,yellow,red with some engine components on it.

There's another one though:
"Ford Fuel Injection and Electronic Engine Control: How to Understand, Service and Modify, 1988-1993" by Probst.

stangplus2birds advertises probst in his sig.

Is that the one your talking about? It has a white mustang on the cover.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts