Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Bone Stock Motor You can Jack Up the Timing And Remove Air Pollution Stuff?? Is There anything else you can do to your 1994 Mustang GT to gain 1 or 2 ponies. That COST NOTHING!

·
Registered
351 Posts
You can bump your timing up a couple degrees at a time listening carefully for detonation. Usually 12*-14* works good.
Remove the intake air silencer from the passenger side fenderwell.
Remove the a/c if you have it.

As far as pollution equipment goes just leave it there because the eec-iv in your car won't run properly without it and it won't hurt performance.

Remove all unnecessary weight from the car. I know it isn't free horsepower but it will have the same effect.
Move the battery to the trunk.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
When you bump your timing, run premium fuel. If you bump it while running 87 octane, the point where it will knock will be a lot lower. You can usually get 5 HP to the wheels from this. This is free except for the $0.20/gal extra cost of the fuel.

Remove the air silencer in the inner fender, and replace the filter with a K&N style. This should get you another 5 HP or so to the rear wheels. Ripping the silencer out is free, but the K&N is around $40.

From here, you are going to have to start spending money to upgrade.

The air pump is not really costing any HP, so you may as well leave it.

Good luck!:joy:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Do what they said, but I did have a comment about the air pump.

No it really doesn't gain much HP, but I just removed mine because it really cleaned up the engine bay. I mean, getting to some of thoes spark plugs back there are a real PITA. My car runs the exact same with all the smog stuff removed, didn't hurt my car at all...

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I agree with FastMonkey, it does clean the engine compartment up.

I did not reinstall it after pulling my engine last winter to do the head/cam/intake/etc. swap.

If you are in an area that is not going to go to smog inspections, you have nothing to lose, but you will gain no HP, only a little cleaner looking engine compartment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts