Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any good ideas to remove the front bolts out of the front lower control arm? I have pounded on it with a hammer for about an hour. Then turned a metal cutting blade on a saw zaw in to a butter knife tring to cut through the sleeve and bolt. Also, if I ever get the control arms out, do I have to have the new engery suspension bushing pressed in or will they slide in to the sleeve? Thanks....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well you need a impact wrench to get them out and the metal sleeve you are cutting thought will be needed when you install the new bushings. Try some heat or penitrating lube.
Allen

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
mine were roted into place so i did a combo of put a mallet on the bolt on the pointy side then hit the mallet with a hammer..then when there was a gap between the bolt head and axle thingy..i used the hammer nail puller end and put the head of the bolt on it and pryed like i was taken a nail out of a peice of wood...pain in the ass let me tell yea

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just did mine, see my post called lca bolts stuck. Anyway my car used to live in Michigan and my bolts were one with the car. I got one out with a 2 inch solid steel bar, me holding, and my brother hitting it with a sledge hammer. I got the two on the axle side out by grinding a slot under the head and then wedging an air chisel under it. The last one nothing worked so we pried the lca to one side then cut through the sleeve with a diamond blade in a sawsall. remember to spray everything generously with penatrant. Good luck!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I had the joy of removing these recently. I actually ground them off with an air grinder. Then I had to go to the John Deere dealership to get the right grade bolts, as FORD did not have them. I get to do the rears soon. YIPPEE!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yup. I also live in Michigan. Each bolt had to be cut out. That darn inner bushing was corroded solid to the bolt. No way that thing was coming out any other way.

The ol Dremel and cut off wheels....lots of cut off wheels.

Ford won't have the bolts. Just get a grade 8 or better bolt, washers, and locknuts. You'll generally have to get a longer bolt and use the washers for spacers...you'll see what I mean when you're looking at them. Tractor supply, True Value hardware, auto parts stores, etc. Don't bother with Home Depot and the like, as they generally supply lower grade bolts for wood projects and such.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've also had the privilege of fighting these bolts. The problem is that they seize into the steel sleeve in the center of the bushing. If you turn then, the sleeve breaks loose from the bushing and turns with the bolt. Not much room to swing a hammer either. The only quick way of doing this is to use oxy-acetylene and cut them out. Ford carries the bolts, i've bought several sets from them. I've spent upwards of 10 hours with penetrating oil and a hammer trying to get them out without a torch, it can be done if you've got lots of time and patience, try putting a pry bar under the head of the bolt while turning them, preferably with a impact, and if you can get a set of vice grips on the sleeve to try and prevent it from turning. I wouldn't try it again without torches though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the response. A buddy of mine was nice enough to lend me his compressor and some air tools. Gonna try to get vice grips on the sleeve and hit with the impact. If that fails, gonna bring out the air grinder and say bye bye bolts. This project of mine started 2 weeks ago, changing the rack, ball joints, tie rods, and putting lowering springs in. I thought it would be a simple weekend job, but as when it comes to working on my vert, nothing is simple....

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
the drivers side of mine was the first that i did and that took me about three hours to get that one out..only mabe twenty min for the other side using the same technique...my arms were pretty sore afterwards...and on the drivers side when i was useing the hammer to try to pry the bolt out like a nail it sliped off and i smached my hand on the axle...ill tell yea right now that it felt awsome...lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know how you feel. Been hammering on the bolts for hours and not every swing hit the bolt. The best was when I was taking the spindle off the ball joint. I put a gear puller on it and cranked it till I couldn't move it anymore. So I sat down to figure out what to do next. About that time the spindle came flying off and landed on my leg. I think it scared me more than it hurt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.