Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
May I ask, why spend effort and $ on the front suspension when the fox/sn95's weak spot is its rear axle?
The Mustang rear suspension is definitely lacking, as is the whole fox platform honestly.

The front strut design is fine for a street car, and can be modified to work pretty well for handling. But the short long arm design is one of those "have your cake and eat it too" situations. There's very little compromise with the design.

The car in question already has the whole Maximum Motorsports catalog on the rear axle, which works exceptionally well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm just going off the photos of the Griggs set up, but my main question is that as the Factory 5 piece mounts inline with the spindle ears, it appears it would put the ball joint and that area of the control arm in the same space as the spring (at least partially). You could adjust the arm longer but you would lose all your negative camber.
Gotcha, I see what you're saying. I'll pay close attention to that. If I end up modifying my MM arms, I'll make sure to place the lower shock mount in a spot where it won't interfere with the upper arm.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
So why do you no longer sell suspension systems?
The owner of our company is also the founder and CEO of one of the biggest 3D printing houses in the country. He realized how much time, money, effort, and shop space was reserved for making only a handful of suspension systems each year. When he weighed that vs. what the 3D printing house could do with with those resources, it was obvious and made all the sense in the world to stop focusing on welded parts/parts that required purchasing and warehousing inventory like brackets, ball joints, and especially the jigs and fixtures. We still make small AGENT 47 parts and some aero stuff that we've always made in the 3D printing house.

The short term result of this redirect of resources is a doubling in size of the 3D printing house, to the point that we are one of the biggest in the country, and reassignment for the people that ran AGENT 47. I personally am now a 3D printer repair technician, and my counterpart is a department lead. We both jump in when AGENT 47 biz comes up.

We all hold a deep love for/stand behind AGENT 47, our customers, and products. The adventures that racing takes us on have been epic. We still race, still set lap records, and still win Championships.

https://www.forecast3d.com

·
Registered
76 Posts
Fair enough. It just seemed odd to bail on a proven line when I assume the costs were already amortized and were in a position of growth. I get the reallocation of resources. It's just sad to see something that actually worked well, vaporize.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Did y’all at least keep the jigs? Seems like those and the design could be sold to someone looking to continue the line

Ditto, I was aiming towards the Grigg's front kit or the Agent 47 parts, as my last project step.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Did y’all at least keep the jigs? Seems like those and the design could be sold to someone looking to continue the line
Yep. Still got em. That part of the business is for sale.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts

I have to laugh at the concept that our SLA was more expensive than Griggs’”. If you look at what we offered which was a full solution with no compromise on the front end versus Griggs offerings you will see that they offered much lesser suspension options for the front for a little less money... but to get something that was equivalent to what we offered was double the cost of our SLA. If you ever watch the Ernesto Roco video that I made you’ll see that he bested his best ever time at his home track the first time out after switching to AGENT 47 SLA.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I have to laugh at the concept that our SLA was more expensive than Griggs’”. If you look at what we offered which was a full solution with no compromise on the front end versus Griggs offerings you will see that they offered much lesser suspension options for the front for a little less money...
But that is kind of a moot point since you no longer sell suspension systems, right?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I have to laugh at the concept that our SLA was more expensive than Griggs’”. If you look at what we offered which was a full solution with no compromise on the front end versus Griggs offerings you will see that they offered much lesser suspension options for the front for a little less money...
But that is kind of a moot point since you no longer sell suspension systems, right?
Correct. Keywords- “was”, and “offered”.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
i wonder why maximum never pursued a kit of their own?

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
i wonder why maximum never pursued a kit of their own?
I think for Maximum its time. Designing and developing an SLA takes time to get it right and turn it into a kit. Then they have to look at how much it will cost to do the work to develop the kit and how much they can sell it for in the end. Then its figuring out how many you have to sell to break even at the very least.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I think for Maximum its time. Designing and developing an SLA takes time to get it right and turn it into a kit. Then they have to look at how much it will cost to do the work to develop the kit and how much they can sell it for in the end. Then its figuring out how many you have to sell to break even at the very least.
Based on a dinner table conversation I had with the owner of MM (Chuck) at Buttonwillow a few yeas ago, its all that ^, and that they have established and proven themselves through their existing product line. They do get excellent results with their offerings. I personally have a MM setup on my 93 Cobra and love it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
This project has officially ended for me. I found a new race car that I couldn't pass up, and unfortunately the notch had to go.

Hopefully somebody out there can try the budget SLA.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Nice!
Congrats on the new toy.

What mods does the Viper have or what's the plan?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Nice!
Congrats on the new toy.

What mods does the Viper have or what's the plan?
Thanks, I appreciate it.

The plan is to continue racing in CAM. The Viper is a former SCCA road race car with over a dozen wins. It's fully gutted, no side windows or any HVAC components. It has a full cage. Moton coilovers, Stoptech brakes, 18x12.5 Forgelines with 335 BFG Rivals square. Quaife diff. Oil, trans, and diff coolers along with a big radiator and silicone hoses. It has a liftoff lightweight hood. Stock motor with fancy Belanger headers. It weighs 3160 lbs with an 80lbs bias to the rear axle, so crazy enough it pivots like a mid engine car.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
335s on all fours... holy smokes that thing must stick like a go-kart

21 - 40 of 40 Posts