Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the symptoms,light cruise or normal driving the car is fine.
will even handle moderate acceleration,
put the foot down hard though,
she bogs severely,will not pull and the symptoms are worse in the higher gears due to the increased load.

my first thought is fuel,pressure guage shows between 36-40 at idle,40ish free revving and drops when shut off..
this is a static test as guage is under bonnet..

hp pump is new and should b adequate.

leads and coil are new

throttlebody and maf are new.

no codes other than egr and smog disconnections

tps .98ish timing base 10

platinum plugs

temp 180

any ideas on how 2 cure,
been registered one day and already have a speeding ticket trying to diagnose...

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
Throw in some lower rear end gears or plan on down shifting.

There is only soo much torque left in the combination, and your looking at a nearly stock engine there. Dont expext 280hp to blaze the hides from a 100km roll in 4th gear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do you have catalytic converters? I just had this same problem...turns out my front right converter is totally collapsed and the exhaust cant get out fast enough under high acceleration.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Fuel pressure should be measured with the vacuum line disconnected. See if your TPS drops voltage at WOT. If not, make sure your intake tube isn't collapsing under high vacuum. And there's NO REASON to set it the TPS 0.98 but that's another 1,000 posts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
swap your plugs, I had a similar problem and it was because of platinum plugs, just run some basic autolites.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys guys,

Kim,the problem is worse than just not pulling the taller gears,it will do it in first also if you belt it off the line...

Five alive,the cats have about 40 miles on them from new so I have discounted those for now..

Mfe,is the fuel pressure checked at idle with vac disconnected,what is the proceedure 4 checking the reg?

Mmlx2,plugs are worth a shot,what type and range do you guys recommend,out here in OZ we get bosch,ngk,champion and motorcraft(autolite I think)...

·
Registered
92 Posts
ok when did u get the cobra mass air meter...i have heard the cobra mass air meter is calibarated for 24lbs injectors and only works with the cobra computer....this might be your problem.....

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
NyurDreamz is right, the Cobra MAF setup is strictly for 24 lb.hr injectors. Try to beg borrow or steal a set of 24 lb squirters and I'll bet you that's it!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard that the cobra meter is 4 24s,
but was told that the fuel tables in the cobra computer are modded and the maf electronics are the same as 19 cal meters...

can anyone confirm or deny this,or is there a ford part number to correlate the electronics..or voltage checks etc.....

thanks for the replys,guys keep em coming....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts