Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, I have arching, but its at the end of the spark plug wire on the plug. I ran the car in pitch black and can see a blue circle around the spark plug where the boot ends on the plug. I just put in new plugs (AGSF32C) and new wires (FMS) and I'm getting the circle arch problem at cylinders 4/3/7/8, a little bit on the others, but not nearly the full circle that occurs on those cylinders. I'm not sure if its my wires, but they dont cover the plug completely, they stop right at the word Motorcraft on the ceramic. I know they are on all the way, so thats not a problem, but what could be causing this? Also, my entire passenger side power is low, my lights are dimmer than the drivers side, and I get a LOT more valvetrain chatter on the passenger side. Is it possible (i'm a newb if there ever was one) that I'm not getting a full spark on the 1-4 cylinders and its causing the fuel in my oil? ANY input or ideas would help me out greatly, and yes I've searched and searched, but havent really found anything like my particular problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
juiceman said:
motorsport wires are known for glowing and arcing, buy a good set of wires, you get what you pay for.
I read a million threads/posts, half saying FMS were great, the other half saying buy the Taylors.

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
What you are seeing is called "carona" and is OK as long as the spark is not jumping the plug pocelain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tmoss said:
What you are seeing is called "carona" and is OK as long as the spark is not jumping the plug pocelain.
*sigh of relief* thanks!

Any ideas on why my passenger side power would be low? Could it be my battery, its really really old, and sometimes I get the AMP light on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hotroady said:
low battery voltage can have direct effect on electronic ignition
output.
a big enough effect that I should really think about getting a new battery ASAP?

Any recommendations on good/cheap batteries for mild set up (under 350hp)?

·
Registered
617 Posts
actually battery voltage has no affect on anything but starting the car, once the car is running the battery is no longer needed and the entire system runs off the alt. which is why you upgrade your alt when you use alot of power acc. on another note, no that arcing you see from your wires is in no way a good thing, put your hand over it let me know how it feels. arcing from anywhere is a bad thing and besides that you will have a drop in voltage, any type of ohms resistance is a bad thing, that why you want wires with the least resistance. motorsport wires are a 50/50 thing some good some bad, everyone who has experienced the same as you has switched to better wires and had good results. any electrical spark or glow you see is prone to jumping at high rpm and or under load.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts