Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering putting a blower on my girl friends 2002 3.8 vert. Who's got the best kits/ prices etc. Also other than head gaskets what do I need to look out for? What will I need that will not be in a kit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can't speak for the other blowers out there, but I've had my procharger for 2 years and have had no problems. As far as prices, I think they are all roughly the same I could be wrong though. You can probably find some good deals if you look around a little though. As long as you get a good tune you really don't have to look out for much, but the tune is very important. As for other parts concerning prochargers, it depends on which kit you get. If you go with the 7# pulley you don't need to get anything else if you don't want to. I had the 7# pulley with no other mods and it made reasonable power. I switched over to the 11# pulley and put in 42# fuel injectors, an 80 mm MAF, a bigger fuel pump, and a dyno tune. I also had bigger headers and true duals. Altogether that made 322 RWHP and 315 Torque. But if you just want a little more get up for your girl friend's car the 7# pulley will do the trick. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Even with the 7lb pulley you need the fuel mods are a good idea. I know Zani said it worked for him, but I would like to know what the injector pulsewidth was and if the maf was pegging; I suspect they were maxing out or very close to it. You don't want to run an SC car on the edge of its fuel components because all it takes is a good air day (cold and dense) to put you over the edge.

The headgaskets are only an issue if you are pinging like mad, they are not weak on the 96+ engine.

email me [email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry about that, Justin's definitely correct that the fuel mods are a good idea. It's been awhile since I had the 7lb pulley and I agree that they were maxing out.

·
Registered
250 Posts
you dont need any fuel mods to run 7psi..... but on ANY blower set up you need a dyno tune by a GOOD GOOD place.

go to www.fordchip.com and call them tehy can tell you exactly what to do for the best reliability and all that stuff.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
SpectorV said:
you dont need any fuel mods to run 7psi..... but on ANY blower set up you need a dyno tune by a GOOD GOOD place.
What data/proof do you have to back up this statement?

·
Registered
250 Posts
all the dozens on www.v6power.net who have a blower run 7psi on the stock fuel setups and do so fine. on a pre 99 it may be alot more nessesary but i am talking in 99 up terms.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
SpectorV said:
all the dozens on www.v6power.net who have a blower run 7psi on the stock fuel setups and do so fine. on a pre 99 it may be alot more nessesary but i am talking in 99 up terms.
Like who? I look at the dynographs and timeslips page and I don't see any. I do see many cars that I know are running larger fuel injectors, larger pumps, and larger mafs with their SCs.

The stock maf on a 99+ V6 pegs at 34lb/min...we saw a heads/cam NA V6 get very close to pegging the maf, 7psi is going to result in a similar situation. The stock injectors are not going to be enough and the stock pump is questionable.

I would not throw 7psi at one of those cars without at least widebanding it on a dyno....and then I'm very sure that the stock injectors will start to run out.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've put blowers on many 5.0 cars so the fuel system stuff is a no brainer. Injectors and pump at a minimum. I was mainly asking because I wanted to know about FMUs and inline pumps. 7 psi may not need it, but with the Pro Charger intercooled kit 10+ psi is a pulley swap away. I'm looking to set it up to be safe on the higher boost level as well. As far as a dyno tune goes, I really doubt that this car will warrant one. I've got a customer that goes mid 10s with an AOD GT. He's still got stock heads and cam and runs on pump gas. The closest that car has ever been to a dyno is driving past LaRoccas to go to Englishtown. I'm not a class racer, I don't need every last nth of power, I just want it to be safe. And you can keep a car very safe with injector size, fuel press and timing.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
FMUs and inline pumps aren't an option for 99+ because of the returnless system. Right, with a good maf a mailorder chip will be pretty close.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm very happy with my 8 psi Vortech s-trim. Procharger makes a kit with an intercooler, which would be useful if you plan on going past 8-10 psi.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Girlfriend's car?

Is she paying for the kit, cause I wouldn't. She walks and it's REALLY hard to get your stuff back.

just something to consider.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ramblemn said:
Girlfriend's car?

Is she paying for the kit, cause I wouldn't. She walks and it's REALLY hard to get your stuff back.

just something to consider.

WOW do you sound bitter. As far as her walking, It's not even an issue in our case. Engaged with a 15 month old son. If something were to happen, she'd end up with half of my stuff anyway:D And if you must know, yes she is paying for it herself. She pays for her toys and I pay for mine. That eliminates the fight factor right there. My only involvement with her car is installation, tuning and consultation.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lets try and focus on the superchager conversation here ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts