Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have a problem here. I cant decide between getting a blower or doing a heads cam intake on my fox body. I have a 90 mustang gt with like 114K mile on the original motor and trans. And i want to get something that wont break the bank but i do wanna get something so i can get some low ET's..... I'm stuck in the middle.... i have like 3-4k to work with. Should I just throw on a blower, have some fun this summer, and wait for something to go or should i just tear it apart and build it back up with a HCI? I would like to see low 13's to mid 12's. This is my summer cruiser so i dont want it to be crazy fast just enough u know?

If blower witch one to get?
If HCI which on to get?

Remember college student on a BUDGET!!!!

any Comments would be helpful...... Thanks:)

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I'd get a Novi 2000 (or Vortech T-trim) and the necessary fueling things (pump, injectors, etc) so that way, when you go w/ the h/c/i, you won't need to redo the fueling stuff (run 42# injectors w/ the Novi 2000 if you'd like, then when you have the h/c/i, 42#s will still be fine depending on the pulley).

H/C/I is more complicated, and has more driveability issues. I've seen stock shortblocks w/ over 300k miles on them :eek:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else????

·
Registered
312 Posts
i like the h/c/i route. this way if you do go with a blower later the motor is already built. a n/a build up will amplify the effects of boost. im likinh the way tfs trake heat heads look, they can do up to a .600 lift off the shelf.

me and a pal built a 302 stock bottom end / freshened block (with 106k on the clock) with ho hum parts (old edelbrock performer heads and performer intake) full exhaust, x303 cam and tweecer and hes seeing 320 rwhp. admittily we ported the crap outta everything, but it screams

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Fomoco347 said:
Exactly what Fast90 said!!
I agree with both, you'll spend the same money or more with HCI and the car won't be nearly as fast. Mid 12s are easy with an S-trim and most people can install one in a Saturday.

I've seen more guys go with the HCI route and really be disappointed the car wasn't faster.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I thought about this myself and am going h/c combo. Afr's are in the mail now being shipped to me. The reason I went this route was b/c with a blower, I wouldn't see max boost b/c my car won't shift any higher than 5000 with the automatic. Of course, a lentech Vb would cure the problem but I chose heads and intake. I'm going to get ed c. to cut me a cam to have power from idle to 5k. Wouldn't a blower car have more drivalbility issues and more bugs to work out than hci b/c of fmu's, timing, tuning, and boost retards? What sold me was edstettin(sp?) running 11.81 on the afr/fti combo on a 150k stock shortblock and being able to drive it daily if desired. Imagine throwing on a sc or 1000 kit on that combo. Just my .02.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
or, you could go w/ a turbo kit and have 500hp w/ a stock engine :eek:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Get a set of the TOP LINE heads, Victor Jr. intake, and a Comp cam with .530, .230, and get a Nitrous kit.

I have a set up like that and get 12 miles in town and like 16 on the road. I am running [email protected] on motor and 11. [email protected] a 75 shot and going to a 150 shot soon.

Or simply build a budget 347 and run mid 11's!!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
a well put together 302 could get into the mid to low 11s, like a FTI combo.

I still say go w/ a turbocharger/supercharger, as filling that nitrous bottle can get expensive.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I understand you on the nitrous filling the bottle all of the time, it is about to brake me. This may be stupid but what is a FTI combo?

Thanks CJ

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
yeah, Ed Curtis and Flow Tech. put together nice combos and are very helpful. :)

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I did HCI first. That satisfied power cravings for a while.

HCI netted me about 128 RWHP. (Well actually have to include LT headers and exhaust into that too ) I haven't yet found out what the blower added.

Adding my S-trim blower was actually a little cheaper then the HCI and all supporting components....Gotta love Summit's 10% off sales!!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
xsvstang, how many miles are on your motor? Thats impressive #'s n/a, good job. What did it run n/a?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
duddor said:
xsvstang, how many miles are on your motor? Thats impressive #'s n/a, good job. What did it run n/a?
84,000 miles. Never ran it N/A. When the snow melts I need to get it on the dyno to check my A/F with the blower, then some drag radials and off to the races!

As far as numbers, when you get those $1000 AFR's :) (find me a deal like that on some 205's or 225's and I'll give you a finders fee!!) on there yours will probably be the same, taking into account the AOD.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guy for all the post... I would go with a turbo but they can be pretty expensive $$$ I dont know i still havent decided between the HCI and the blower. Which would be more bang for the buck? Thanks Dave

·
Registered
268 Posts
its gonna be what you wanna do that will decide it.. im in college also so i had a limited budget and i debated this exact same thing you did..
i decided to go with the H/C/I setup knowing the power wouldnt be much different then if i was to add a blower to the stock block... what made me finally decide to go with the h/c/i was the fact that when the engine goes.. i already have a top end ready to go and while im at it i can do all the porting i want for the car to have max volumetric effeciency when i put on a blower.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
ah, the evil Corral post eater has disposed of my post, so I'll type it again shorter :eek:

You can get a turbo system for the same prace or less than a blower. Don't fall into the myth that turbo stuff is TONS of money, some guys on www.turbomustangs.com have had a turbo car running for under $1000, and later on updraded a few things and had about $1400 in it.

Go here if you want to buy a kit, or there are other vendors as well: http://66.70.20.245/

and go here for a wealth of knowledge on the subject, www.turbomustangs.com

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Acid angel

hey man what kind of et's do you have with that set up?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts