Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up gear heads?!

Quick question. I have an 87 5.0 GT. Found this car back in the late 90s completely stock. These days it's basically a rolling bank account. Well most of the time it sits in the garage but rolls from time to time. Having a weird issue with the turn signal fuse popping. I'm leaning towards the switch on the column. Brake lights and 4 ways work. I can replace the fuse then start the car and let it idle. I can use signals and everything but weirdly if I take the car out for a cruise shortly after it pops a fuse. Wanted to see if anyone else is encountered this type of issue. Thanks in advance

· Registered
2,253 Posts
Need to drop down the multifunction switch/turn signal switch and carefully remove the three wiring harnesses from the back of it. Inspect the wiring harness plugs because overtime with over use 35+ years of use, hot interior temps, worn out switches, those plastic harness plug ins sometimes melt and the metal wire connectors move around in the melted harness plug touching things they shouldn't be touching. Or vise versa not touching things they should be. Would certainly blow the fuse. Or the multifunction switch itself is shorting out.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need to drop down the multifunction switch/turn signal switch and carefully remove the three wiring harnesses from the back of it. Inspect the wiring harness plugs because overtime with over use 35+ years of use, hot interior temps, worn out switches, those plastic harness plug ins sometimes melt and the metal wire connectors move around in the melted harness plug touching things they shouldn't be touching. Or vise versa not touching things they should be. Would certainly blow the fuse. Or the multifunction switch itself is shorting out.
I have been meaning to do this for some time now. I guess that's what I'll do. Thanks for your response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts