Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 00 GT with the saleen roots blower running 10 psi. I cracked cyld #2 due to detonation. I have to take the motor out and have spoken with the machine shop and they are happy to do the work but I an in need of help selecting a good bunch of parts to rebuild with. I want a much stronger short block, cams, and I am going to have the assembly balanced. I want to stay under $3,500 for the rebuild including the machine work. PLease help with suggestions. I regularly drag race the car so the motor has to be stronger than it was before.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Is your car already over the mileage?
Saleen will no cover replacing it?

I doubt you will get a quality short block installed for less than $3500- about the cheapest I found at a pef shop I would have do it was around $5000. Just the parts alone I checked into were over $3000. Manley rods, CP, Ross or Je pistons, rings, ect... I guess it depends on what you by. But if your going to do it I would put the best you could buy for a reasonable price- you dont want to have to do it over again anytime soon.

Good luck
sg

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not have a warranty b/c I had a new tune, and new pulley. I think all I want is cam, pistons and rods.

·
Registered
729 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked out the sites but I need some help selecting which parts would be best for rebuilding the shortblock on a limited budget. For instance what are the parts that you guys definately recommend replacing since the motor is going to be out?

·
Registered
568 Posts
My friend Dave aka tampa99gt built his shortblock for cheap, but he did his own labor. Not sure if you're gonna do the work yourself but all his parts totalled less than 3k. JE pistons, Manley rods, Federal Mogul bearings, ARP studs and fasteners, stock crank, ported heads with mod max valves by Total Engine Airflow(we have a friend who works there so your porting price would be higher than what he was charged :D ) and a new oil pump. Came out to be about $2800, with him doing the labor.

Definitely go with some JE pistons, Manley rods, ARP studs and fasteners, new bearings(clevtite or federal mogul) and I would look over the oil pump too. I'd use the stock crank if your on a budget. Nobody has ever broke one.....yet. Just my opinion on your situtation :)

Hope all works well for you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to be doing all the work except for machining and re-assembly. Thanks for the tips on the parts though, I was looking into JE, they make a good set of .020 pistons. Any other opinions?

·
Registered
636 Posts
kyoshea said:
I have a 00 GT with the saleen roots blower running 10 psi. I cracked cyld #2 due to detonation. I have to take the motor out and have spoken with the machine shop and they are happy to do the work but I an in need of help selecting a good bunch of parts to rebuild with. I want a much stronger short block, cams, and I am going to have the assembly balanced. I want to stay under $3,500 for the rebuild including the machine work. PLease help with suggestions. I regularly drag race the car so the motor has to be stronger than it was before.
Wow, that sounds like a tall order. Have you checked out DSS for some of the 4.6 kits that they offer? The advertise all the time in MM&FF. You might think about, given your budget, buying a junkyard engine and a good solid rotating assembly (new) with the forged guts. I think it's going to be tight, given your budget.

Not to get off-topic, but may I ask where you're getting the machine work done? I'd like to know for when I get my longblock done in the future, since you're a fellow Clevelander.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Victory Engines, right on the corner of W150th and Lorain Ave.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I feel your pain,

I have a 99 with a blown engine so I have been doing a lot of research on this.

For you, you have a couple options:

1) Modular Performance sells engine rebuild kits (pistons, rods, bearings, rings, etc.) for less than half of what you plan to spend, but you will need to email them and find out the piston and ring size for that package price. Since you will be using your old block, they will probably have to bore it to .020 over stock, so check with Mod. Performance first. That leaves you with taking your block to be machined and resurfaced, etc.

2) Houston Performance sells a new windor block, cobra crank, forged pistons/rods, main studs, bored .020 over, and balanced for a little under what you are planning to spend. Plus you can get 17cc dished piston heads so you can run a lot of boost with your supercharger. This will leave you at under your projected spending limit, since you said that you will be doing the removal and installation yourself. Plus, you will have a spare block on hand to build up right, so now you will always have a back up engine or you could sell it yourself.

Oh, DSS is another viable solution for a very well built shortblock, but the price was a little bit higher than HP. But still close to your target spending limit.

Hope this helps, I'm going through the same thing myself.

Oh, I forgot to mention. For your price point, you should forget about a new set or reground cams, and any head work. Just not in the budget. But, you can always do that later, with not as much time. It would be nice the do the cams while the engine is out, but like I said, not in the budget. Plus, you should really look at the billet oil gears that mod. per. sells. Every engine builder I talked to recommends them, especially if you plan to rev the piss out of the car. Also, new valves and springs for your heads might be doable, but again, it comes down to cold hard cash.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys so much for the help, this world of aftermarket parts is really overwhelming once your kinda thrown into it. As far as cams, who would offer a good blower cam for the '00? It does not have to be emmission legal, since I dont pass e-check anyways, but I would like the car to idle b/c I drive it daily..

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I would go no where but Modular Performance man. They are great people to deal with plus they will get you what you need fast if they have it there. Go to their websiteMODULAR PERFORMANCE and e-mail one of them Mike gets the tech, and John gets the sales e-mails.

·
Registered
470 Posts
From what I've read here, if you have to skimp on something, you can probably forgo the Cobra crank. It is very important that you get real high quality oil pump gears. Some of the engine rebuilders can elaborate on that or search on "oil pump gears".

·
Registered
67 Posts
Call Keith @ FOMPK Motorsports. He really helped me out and hooked me up when I blew my stock motor. Awesome guy, he goes above and beyond for his customers.

954-441-3512

He comes on this board as tangg96.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I got the motor out and have a few quotes on parts for the shortblock. Then next thing is who has experience with cams on the PI heads. I didnt know the stock cams had pressed on lobes. I definately want to change that and upgrade the valvetrain. Any suggs?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts