Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK first I have searched and searched and without seeing things from 2007 nothing on a way to truly say this is how it's done.
OK i have a 2001 GT
On3 turbo kit
Well the rest doesn't matter for what I'm seeking info on so don't wanna waste people's time lol

Well I want to add a bigger radiator 3row but can't seem to find a easy way to drop the radiator in and fan without bumping against my turbo.
I seen people said to pull the radiator back and your good but clearly they didn't measure because that's about 4 inches of clearance needed. Yes I have my AC system and all but if I have to I don't mind losing it because honestly I don't ever turn it on regardless of the temp outside. Any help is appreciated
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Land vehicle
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
For what it’s worth, I have a Mishimoto radiator in my 00 Gt. I don’t know if it’s a 2 or 3 row but it’s about twice as thick as stock so I’m going to guess it’s a 2 row. I don’t know what temp thermostat it has but it rarely gets above 200*. I’m not boosted like you are so your results may vary but I can tell you it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For what it’s worth, I have a Mishimoto radiator in my 00 Gt. I don’t know if it’s a 2 or 3 row but it’s about twice as thick as stock so I’m going to guess it’s a 2 row. I don’t know what temp thermostat it has but it rarely gets above 200*. I’m not boosted like you are so your results may vary but I can tell you it works.

Well my concern is the space between the rad fan and turbo. Most say remove the condenser and push it back but it's not just that simple. Mishimoto sent me a 3 row to try out but no space so I'm trying to we if anyone ran into this

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Ditto..

ks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well my concern is the space between the rad fan and turbo. Most say remove the condenser and push it back but it's not just that simple. Mishimoto sent me a 3 row to try out but no space so I'm trying to we if anyone ran into this

Gotcha. Do they have a two row? Like I said I don’t know which I’m running but it’s not much bigger than stock so that might be an option if it is different.

Do you have issues running hot is that why you want to upgrade or is it for insurance?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
If it’s not running hot maybe leave it alone. I don’t think the cooler water temp will translate into cooler air charge temps but maybe??

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it’s not running hot maybe leave it alone. I don’t think the cooler water temp will translate into cooler air charge temps but maybe??
Not necessarily lookinh for cooler air charger but I can say if it's about 90 and humid I can get up there in temp which bothers me. That's why I am looking to go bigger and more flow. Basically to have my coolant system run efficiently knowing that I creating alot of heat from my setup

·
Registered
135 Posts
What temp does it get up to? As a stop gap you could lower the temp at which the fan comes on if it’s not already lower than stock.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What temp does it get up to? As a stop gap you could lower the temp at which the fan comes on if it’s not already lower than stock.

I have them lower in my tune which is fine but I seen Temps around 215 which causes my intake Temps to rise drastically. Hence why I edited the hood to get some of that trapped hot air out while driving

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have them lower in my tune which is fine but I seen Temps around 215 which causes my intake Temps to rise drastically. Hence why I edited the hood to get some of that trapped hot air out while driving

215 is nothing to be concerned about and is normal.

Your intake temps increase because your turbo is sucking in all the heated air that is passing through the radiator. Move the air filter.

If there is a cooling issue here it is more likely a result of there being a very restricted air path out of the radiator/fan. A larger radiator moving things even closer to the engine may very well make things worse.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
215 is nothing to be concerned about and is normal.

Your intake temps increase because your turbo is sucking in all the heated air that is passing through the radiator. Move the air filter.

If there is a cooling issue here it is more likely a result of there being a very restricted air path out of the radiator/fan. A larger radiator moving things even closer to the engine may very well make things worse.
Agreed hence why I wanna push the radiator away from the turbo. 215 isn't bad but at a stand still it rises. That's my issue. So I wanted to make sure that my cooling was sufficient is all.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If it rises while idling that’s an airflow issue. Either the radiator is plugged or you need a bigger fan.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it rises while idling that’s an airflow issue. Either the radiator is plugged or you need a bigger fan.

Agreed. I looked at that 2. I want to drop dual fans in there with a shroud but finding 1 has been a challenge

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I've posted this before: Newer cars are designed to create a vacuum under the car which sucks the air from the radiator out and under the car. If the engine bay or hood is full of holes then there is less pressure around the engine and radiator and the flow through the radiator can get disrupted and not flow well, ie becomes more turbulent and block the air flow through the radiator. The airflow needs a direct path into the radiator and out of the engine bay under the car. If you look at my system one one would think that the back of the radiator is so plugged up that air can't possibly cool it but I have 0 heating issues even at 100*+ temps as my car has never seen 200*.

Mines a Mishimoto that is 2.5" thick but I don't know how many cores there are and it fits in the stock location with the stock mounting components. I still use the factory 2V fan with a new AC condenser in front of the radiator and a huge 3.5" IC in front of everything. I have 0 cooling issues even when driving in stop/go traffic downtown in 100*+ heat and it's never seen 200*.

As you can see from the pics below I have a LOT of piping directly behind the fan that you would think may block the air flow but it doesn't. To help direct the airflow to under the car I made a shield that sits on top of everything that prevents air from flowing towards the top of the engine and forces it under the car. Even all the hot side turbo piping prevents the air from going around the engine thus forcing the air under the car. Another reason why my system works is b/c once air enters the bumper cover air can't go anywhere around the radiator or under it, it can only go through it then under the car. Looking from the front of the car any air that enters the front bumper opening pretty much has to flow through the radiator b/c there is no way around it or under it.

I have a lot of buildup pics here if anyone wants to see more:

ks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hell yeah that's awesome. So my question is.
1) when mounting the radiator did u have to remove the condenser to make room?
2) when using the mishimoto radiator with stock fan did button against the turbos.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Hell yeah that's awesome. So my question is.
1) when mounting the radiator did u have to remove the condenser to make room?
2) when using the mishimoto radiator with stock fan did button against the turbos.

My radiator fits in the stock location so does the AC condenser. No mod's required.

My turbo system is all custom made by me so I made it work the way I needed it to. With this said one downpipe hit the plastic cover on the fan motor so I notched the plastic cover so it didn't melt. As close as the DP is to the fan motor the motor hasn't failed....yet.

ks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My radiator fits in the stock location so does the AC condenser. No mod's required.

My turbo system is all custom made by me so I made it work the way I needed it to. With this said one downpipe hit the plastic cover on the fan motor so I notched the plastic cover so it didn't melt. As close as the DP is to the fan motor the motor hasn't failed....yet.

ks
Hahahah well amazing thanks well looks like I gotta fab up some exhaust. Currently using everything from on3 but I wanna dumb at the bumper so that's my plan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts