Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Big Engine Trouble, Smashed Spark plug Found

I have been having issues with bad gas screwing things up for two weeks now. It has been bucking and shuddering but not enough to worry about, I figured enough water remover treatments would take car of it. About 4 days ago I put a half a tank into the car and some green water remover in with it but I cant remember the brand. I am now down to less than a 1/4 of a tank and was on the highway today when all of a sudden the car had no power. It went away after about 15 seconds. Five minutes later I get to where I was going, pull into the lot, and the engine suddenly starts missfireing horribly and cuts off. I towed it back to my apartment and checked a few of the plugs which have a light grey coating on them and from the first thread, that area is black. It's not oil on them though. I have no clue as to what the hell has happened. All I really have is a custom diablo chip and gears. Maybe the timing advance and running at higher rpms with bad gasoline has screwed something up? I am stumped, those of you that are mechanics please help me out. I am about broke right now and cant afford to take it in for a week but need a car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If the car has high mileage on it, I would think it would be an ignition issue. If I were you i would get a new set of plugs and try that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I pulled the spark plugs and the one that sits under the throttle body looked as though it had been hit real hard by something in the engine. It looks like someone took a hammer and hit it real hard. I was just driving normaly and this happened. There is no noise coming from the engine, no knocking, pinging,rattling etc. . It is just still misfiring horribly and I dont know what the hell has happened. I am flat broke and cant take it in at the moment to be looked at. What in the hell would cause this??!

·
Registered
624 Posts
The light grey is generally metal inside the engine sticking to the plug.My car had the same thing on it when it broke not to long ago.Can you turn the engine over by hand?Does the starter turn it over?Will it turn with the plugs in the engine?What does the oil/antifreeze look like?Check some of these things out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I replaced all the plugs to no avail. The car will turn over and run but only 6 of the cylinders. The one plug I took out had an indentation in it like something metal smashed into it and hit it hard enough to break the porcelin around the elecrode in two. I have another guy from the forum came over to help me today and check things out. The compression inside one of the cylinders is reading 0, one is reading 60, both are not fireing, and the others are at 180. This engine is a replacement from ford and on top of things a reman. I think the engine just went from being a piece of junk or maybe problems with bad gas caused a bad engine to finaly go. Possibly one of the rings broke and smashed into the plug. But why? I am at a loss for things. When I get a chance tomorrow morning I am going to drain the oil. I just didnt have the money today to get more oil.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems I know hot it feels. I have gone through two rebuilds and I had to drvie a friends 83 Honda Civic while my car was being worked on. If you have 0 compression on one cylinder then you have a big problem, but I am sure you already know that. Most likely you have a damaged valve. And the most likely cause for this and your damaged spark plug is part of the pistion, most likely part of the ring gland has disingrated and hit the spark plug and damaged the valve or valve seat. Recheck your compression. If you are still getting 0 then it's time to take off the heads. You'll be able to tell for sure what's wrong once the heads are off.

Bobby

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Sounds like a replacement from ford to me. If you are still covered put the plugs in and give them a call don't mention the bad gas because the thing running like [email protected]#t could have a symptom of what has happened to your piston.

Dwayne

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found out that this engine is still under a 24 month/24k mile warranty, thank god! Question though, I am having the thing hauled in tomorrow so I put all the plugs back in it and fired it up to make sure it would run so they could see for themselves. It was blowing oil out the exhaust. I had already talked to the guy at ford and they were closed when I noticed this today. Now my cats have got to have an ungodly amount of **** piled up in them from that. The engine is thier responsability, the engine going has tainted my cats. Can I make them replace the cats too now?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think so too but there is no knocking, rattleing, or anything. The only thing I had on the engine was frpp 9mm wires and a custom diablo chip. I just dont know why it comitted suicide on me other than being a ford reman piece of junk. It got taken to the shop earlier today so I hope to hear from them in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's definetly a major problem if your getting 0 compression on one cylinder. Make sure you take the chip out if you haven't already done so. You might go one step further and drain the gas tank as well. If they find out it's bad gass they may not want to replace the engine under warranty. I am sure because of the cost of the repairs it's not going to be easy to get them to replace the engine. I haven't had direct exprience but I have seen several post were Service Managers want to void waranties for one reason or another.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I took the car in the gas gage is below the E. I will be surprised if they have enough for it to run for at least a minute. And this will get replaced under warranty or I am going to find the biggest monkey wrench in the place, shove it up the service managers ass, then toss him out in from of the dealership like a human lawn dart.:mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.