Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
what K member R U using ?

Most of the folks I know are using fox body swap stuff, and motor plates rather than block mounts. Block mounts are a pain in comparison but unless you're creative, motor plates don't have any vibration isolation.

Giddyup (when it had stock style mounts, which were D&D as I remember) had to use 1/2 spacer to get the engine lifted up to clear the K member. Pan was a Motorsport (FRPP) swap pan. Headers were hooker swap headers, and they actually fit better than 351 hooker headers, with 2 1/8" primaries. That car ran a lot of 9 sec ET's with a basic 514 kit on methanol, N/A. C6. Later on it was updated with a better cage/chassis, also went 574", and powerglide.

they are heavy over the nose. But that can work FOR you if you tune the chassis & suspension. It don't make no sense but that's how it is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive got a fox body upr k member coming,And bc coilovers. I have been corresponding with"D&D automotive specialty". They say they have all the info to build the headers to fox body specs.

I'm hoping with the k member, a arms,aluminum heads,intake and headers. I can get back to stock weight.

Did you mean that the general design of the car hangs weight over the front.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I mean that the 460 weighs a lot more than the original engine that came out of it. If it was a 3.8, probably close to twice as much. About 200 lbs or so heavier than a 4.6. They're heavy.

BUT....if you can get the chassis tuned properly (speaking of drag racing) you can get the weight to work FOR you, as in pitch rotation (lifting the nose) which puts more weight on the rear tires.

aluminum heads and intake on a 460 saved me 94 lbs total (weighed them when I had my truck). With that alone you're about 100 lb heavier than a 4.6 car. Then the K-member and LCA's, I can't comment on the weight savings there because so many K's are different, similar with LCA's.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
139 Posts
Hmmmmmm starting to really interest me here!! My 90 LX has a 351M which I know is limited in parts, but.... Has a C6 with the right bellhousing pattern if I decide I need to bump up to a BB later on.. I've always wanted to do a BB swap since the mid 80's when those kits first started coming out!! I will keep an eye on this thread to see how your build turns out and for anymore input I can learn here as well!! Cheers and good luck!!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hmmmmmm starting to really interest me here!! My 90 LX has a 351M which I know is limited in parts, but.... Has a C6 with the right bellhousing pattern if I decide I need to bump up to a BB later on.. I've always wanted to do a BB swap since the mid 80's when those kits first started coming out!! I will keep an eye on this thread to see how your build turns out and for anymore input I can learn here as well!! Cheers and good luck!!
If I had a fox with a 351m, I’d surely rip that bitch out and go 460 lol.

Reactions: Werecow91

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey, gotta run whacta got till you can run something better!! I'ma make it run or bust it trying, then I'll make a lil room for Big Brother!!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
You can build a cheap 351M stroker. Drop in a 400 crank and pistons. The rods are the same between the 351M and the 400.

400's are under appreciated. In stock form, gutless wonders. But they can be modified, and easily. Remember the heads are basically cleveland heads with some minor differences.
Price used to have adapter plates to run a 351c 4v intake and cylinder heads on a 400 block. I ain't looked into it in ages, dunno if they still do or not.

Briefly had a 78 F100, 351M. I almost forgot how anemic it was, but it never once gave me any problem aside from leaking. Good truck as long as I wasn't in no hurry. Used to cut/deliver firewood with it. Not a single piece of straight sheet metal anywhere on the truck. Floor it and about 30 seconds later it was close to 45 mph, shift to 2nd gear. LOL.

My brother's got a aluminum head (cheap ebay stuff) 408M (400 .030") in his 79 F150 short bed 4x4. TMeyer pistons. Zero deg timing set and real mild custom "RV" cam. 5 speed ZF. It runs pretty good. I'm impressed with it. Keep in mind it being 4x4, so no wild cam and no really light pistons, etc so that he can still use it at low speeds in the woods.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've considered doing the heads,intake,cam deal on it to try and wake it up, but one if the biggest problems I'm hitting right now is headers. There's only one set that comes close to possibly fitting and I don't have the funds for trying em right now, it's the 3/4 mid pipes set that D&D makes for their Cleveland conversation. All the rest won't fit because of the deck height. They will shove the passenger side straight into the firewall.. I think once I get that figured out it'll make a decent runner cause of well torque!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I too am looking forward to that torque. "Stoplight sleeper".
I didn't get a lot done this weekend,had to do the domestic chores on sat and the grandkids had a 6 mo old lab spend the weekend. So with that and messing with sand blaster, I got paint on my a arms.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Welllllll, I would give it a try, but in May I got a pacemaker and the Dr told me I could still do everything that I normally did, except weld.. He told me that the electrical field generated from welding could/would damage my pacemaker. So that bummed me the frack out cause I was looking forward to putting in my own subframe connectors, torque box reinforcements and all that goodness... Oh well...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welllllll, I would give it a try, but in May I got a pacemaker and the Dr told me I could still do everything that I normally did, except weld.. He told me that the electrical field generated from welding could/would damage my pacemaker. So that bummed me the frack out cause I was looking forward to putting in my own subframe connectors, torque box reinforcements and all that goodness... Oh well...
Aww crap!
Aww man that sucks. I'm glad your still here and able to turn wrenches!! My only problem so far is getting parts.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oh I still get out there every day I'm able to and fiddle with it, even if it just cleaning **** out the valve covers or trying to chase down wires, everything is a step ahead the way I look at it!!! I really need to start a build thread... I've had it since May and I've got one on another forum I've just never got one started here... Maybe something to do next rainy day!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so...ive been doin a lot of cleaning and painting and soon i should have more pics. also shopping a lot.

right now im looking for a shifter, one that fits in the console like the b&m banger shifter. has anyone made this work on a c6?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts