Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the part # of the biggest K&N filter that will go in the fenderwell of a fox body mustang? It needs to mount directly on a MAM for a fox body, I think that's a 3.5" inlet. Thanks,

Billy

·
Registered
381 Posts
How would you mount an air filter to the MAF but still have it inside the fender. Wouldn't you need an elbow?? Maybe I'm missing something. I have a k&N F.I.P.K it's over 12" long, mounts right to the MAF and the front of it tucks in right behind the headlight.

·
Registered
35,621 Posts
1sick - there are kits to mount the maf in the fenderwell along with the filter. BTW, anything you can do to shield your underhood filter from picking up underhood intake that's warm (or hot!!) will help a lot. Engines gain or lose 1/2% to 1% HP for every 10F decrease or increase in intake air temp. That's why the stock air filter box pulls cold air from the fenderwell. Mounting the filter under the hood where it can pull warm air probably actually results in a decrease in HP because of the thermodynamic effect mentioned above. That's why Billy's getting his maf and his filter in the fenderwell.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Not sure about K&N part numbers, but I helped a friend with his AFM NA powerpipe and it included the biggest filter I've ever seen! I checked the website, and I believe its the 12" filter. Also, its got the recessed filter on the end to allow even more air in.

check out the NA powerpipe that puts the MAF in the fender, I think thats what you are trying to do right? http://andersonfordmotorsport.com/50-index

·
Registered
35,621 Posts
Billy I'd like to be more helpful, but as you know, mine's in the Volvo, and the fenderwell is so narrow I can't put anything there. And I don't want to pop a big hole in it anyway. I'm having to fabricate a cold air box in the passenger side front corner of the compartment and feed it with cold air from the front of the car through holes that already exist in the front sheet metal of the car. My car originally came with that 12" mutha, and it's one big filter. If it'll fit, I doubt you'd over-run it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Billy Edwards said:
Well you'd have to move the meter...
I didn't realize you were moving the MAF, shoulda figured it out though..duh!. I also, know that the cooler the air, the more dense it is, which inturn allows better combustion. I may have to fabricate my k&N F.I.P.K to go into the fender. I think my cooling fan is giving my MAF false readings!! :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts