Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TV cable changes shift points. how to correct?

OK, I just got a bigger air meter and t-body on my 92 5.0 with a MAC cold air intake. The car is an AOD. It now shifts into third gear MUCH sooner than before. If I am not giving it above half throttle from a start, it will shift to third when it used to shift to second...before I even get through the intersection!

Someone suggested that the issue was caused by the "TV cable". I guess when the TBody was installed the TV cable (attached to the TBody?) needed better adjustment.

How do I adjust this and where is it?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
new image

I added an image to the original post. Anyone know about this?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Your TV cable is the one in the front of your picture. You just pop it off and push the little white tab to unlock it and push your Throttle body lever all the way back against the stop so that it is totally closed and snap it back into place. If this does not make sense look in the Chiltons or Haynes manual as they have pictures of this process.

·
Super Moderator
28,596 Posts
You didn't add any part-throttle airflow at all with the larger throttle body. The engine only pulls what it needs at part throttle. With a bigger TB, you don't need to open it as much to generate the same airflow. So I agree on the TV cable thing, AOD trannies are very sensitive to this. Sorry, can't help you on how to do it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
settle down there

settle stangnut...the Cobra upper and lower is on the way...the headers are going on soon as well...it will just have to stay dirty till I get the engine the way I want it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
image update

I modified the image a bit.
Is that the location on the TV cable? if not, which sector is it in?

thanks for all the help.

G

·
F6 just pop it of and then you will see a little white plastic piece just push that up and then you can slide the end back and forth make your adjustment and the push the white plastic back in the put the cable back on the TB, cant help you with which way to move the cable end for longer shifts (dont remeber)

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you have no cats on the car all of those tubes can be disconnected to unclutter the engine compartment a little bit. You don't need to buy the smog delete kit either, just a shorter belt. One of the vacuum lines goes under the intake and one goes to that canister on the EGR plate, cap off both of those and you are set to go. Looks much better and changing spark plugs is easier.

Beau

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no cats would be nice

I'd like to delete the cats...maybe the next step. I'm just not familiar enough with the Mustang to do that yet.

I hope that once I get all the bolt-ons going that I can just drive it for a bit...doesn't look like there is any real end to what you can do.

so far: Eibachs, Bilsteins, Mac cold air intake, bigger air meter, bigget TB.
next: Cobra intake (bought this week), Magnaflow exhaust (bought today), 3.55s, and enequal shorties.

Where can I find some good info on going cat-delete? what to remove, how to put it back for inspection and selling?

·
Super Moderator
28,596 Posts
BTW there's a little plastic grommet at the connection between the TV cable and TB. They LOVE to get brittle and break, and when they do, they cause the problem you're having. In essence, the trans no longer knows the throttle is open as far as it is and shifts as if there's a lighter load. New ones are available at the dealer for a couple bucks. It would be a good idea to change it anyway.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Buy a 2.5 inch off-road H-pipe and remove the smog pump and related vacuum hoses. The o/r h-pipe is good for at least 10hp over the stock 2.25 inch h-pipe with 2 cats per cylinder bank, probably more but I don't want to overshoot the number. That and it will make the car a bit louder. More air=more hp=louder.

EDIT: Get 3.73's, highway cruising RPM is only 200 higher or so.

Beau

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
F6

F6 was right...although C6 was the same part...just not the right place.
Anyway, thanks for all the help! I got it sorted. MUCH better now.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
didn't need to

All the parts looked to be in great shape.
If the AOD burns up I can finally have a good reason to do the conversion to 5 spd. I hate that slushbox.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.