Putting in a T5 trans,
Just wondering what you guys think would be the esiest way to do this

A) Bolt the bellhousing to the block,then put in the trans

B) Bolt the bellhousing to the trans then put it all in on one shot

Thank you

·
Registered
170 Posts
bolt the bellhousing to motor then bolt trans to bellhousing. Also hook up the clutch cable and push in the clutch with something or have a buddy do it. this will help hold the fork and throwout bearing in place. I use to not do this and would always have trouble getting the trans in. Finally done it like this and it slid right in with no trouble what so ever

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yep I bolted the bell up first. Something that definitly helped me the second time around was renting a tranny jack. I know some people just lay on their back and have at it, but I was doing it by myself so it was easier with the proper jack for sure!

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
Definitely do the bellhousing first.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Once you have the bellhousing on you may want to consider putting "studs" in the trans bolt hole to act as a guide for the trans. Works well if you are doing a one man job. Once the trans is seated, replace the studs with the real bolts to fasten the trans to the bellhousing. Think of the studs as "guide pins". You can make you own from long bolts by cutting off the bolt head.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Here's my tranny jack. Took about 10 minutes using scrap lumber and wood screws. Lifted the saddle out of my floor jack and ran a bolt all the way through. It's like having a second body present when installing a trans! Very stable!

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Make sure to NOT "pull" the transmission onto the bellhousing with the retaining bolts. That will damage the pilot bearing. Wiggle the trans around until it sits relatively flush freely of its own accord.

·
Registered
144 Posts
if you push the clutch in with the trans out, doesnt the disc fall out of alignment??

Bellhousing to engine first!!

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
if you push the clutch in with the trans out, doesnt the disc fall out of alignment??
Not when the trans input shaft is poking through it. At that point, releasing the clutch allows it fall IN to alignment

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not when the trans input shaft is poking through it. At that point, releasing the clutch allows it fall IN to alignment
well, ya duh, but he said have a friend or use something to hold the pedal down while you install the trans. sounds like before the input shaft comes near the disc to me.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forgot to update you guys... So I installed the bell housing put in the clutch fork, hooked up the clutch cable then man handled the trans into its hole. Now I notcied the trans didnt want to go in all the way, So I had an appritance go in the car and push down on the clutch pedal, then the trans slid right into its place.

literally tookm me 30 minuts to install the trans and drive away.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Here's my tranny jack. Took about 10 minutes using scrap lumber and wood screws. Lifted the saddle out of my floor jack and ran a bolt all the way through. It's like having a second body present when installing a trans! Very stable!

Thats freakin awesome right there!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts