Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just going to use a scotch brite pad and some brake cleaner. Will this work or will it scar the block up.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I use razor blades followed by some fine scotchbrite wheels run slowly on a 90 air motor. I then degrease the decks with MEK.

Scotchbrite and brake cleaner should be fine as long as all the old gasket material is off the deck. Be very carefull to not overly contaminate the cylinder bores. I always squirt a little oil around the edges of the pistons before putting the heads on but be carefull to not get the decks all oily.

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Good shop vac will be nice to suck up gasket debris in the bores and valley.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I use 2" fine scotchbrite pads on an air powered 90degree die grinder. Followed by lots of brake cleaner....never had a problem with sealing even with a 10psi Vortech setup.

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
Viper Stang said:
I use 2" fine scotchbrite pads on an air powered 90degree die grinder. Followed by lots of brake cleaner....
Ya, then just before the heads go on oil the pistons like steve said, holding your hand under the oilcan to prevent dripping on the deck. As a further precaution to keeping the gasket perfectly dry I install two head bolts near the middle DRY and tighten them down snug. Then insert the remaining oiled head bolts, make them snug, then remove the 2 dry ones and oil them and put them in then go ahead with the torque sequence. Reason being that the oil on the bolts gets pushed up as you thread it in and can pool all over the deck without you seeing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts