Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at buying the Cobra R's 18 x 9.5 and im not sure what the best tire size would be to use.Im after the G-force KD's and they only have 265/35/18 then they jump to a 295/35/18.I hear 265/35/18 on the front will be fine but as far as the rear goes the 295/35/18 might be to wide.
Now my tire guy says it will fit but he will not warranty the tire on that rim because its not recommended.
My car has the 2000 Cobra R Bilstein Shocks / Struts so its only droped about one inch so im also wondering is the 295 in the rear will be to wide for the IRS and if so would wheel spacers fix that problem.

Im also thinking of just going with 275/35/18 on all four corners or maybe 265/40/18 which I belive is what the 2000 Cobra R came with.

I will be doing some autocross with the car so any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
jmo

DO NOT get 265s

too small not - enough rubber to protect the wheels against the slightest curb damage

275s help a little but not much

there are no clearance problems with the 275s in front

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I would get the 265X40X18 the Ford engineers chose for the 2000 R. ( make sure tires have edge strips to protect wheels...believe KD's do). A 265 on 9 1/2" wheel will look wide. With the 40 series side wall, they will give better straight line traction than the 35 series 275 or 295 (that may be why they were chosen). They are a little taller than stock (at 26.34" ...2.45% error from stock 25.7), so you may need SpeedCal to correct speedo if it running 1-2 MPH slow bothers you. MHO

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cobras-Venom

There ya are -

Unanimous advice - he he ;)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
We certainly agree on need to protect wheels. There is a 2000 R sitting on floor of Don Reed Ford in Mainland Florida, and I look at the tire wheel combo all the time. I figure they chose that odd ball diameter for traction reasons (helps fill up the fender wells also).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Ralph -

Yeah the BFGs are probably better for traction

I bought the Kumhos for the numbers Tire Rack provides - meaning dry traction, wear, rating, noise, etc, and ESPECIALLY wet traction

I do not like squirely tires in the rain

and the price i think they were 157 each - jeez

next best were Michelin Pilots at 330 and the BFGs at high 200s I think

BTW how is FL

from Gainesville, i.e. high school and college

Cheers :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts