Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best tire choice for low money.

I am going to get new tires for my car. I have the 16X7 star ponies, and I am looking for the tires that work well at the lowest possible cost.

Also, are there any side effects to staggaring the front and rear tires? I know I won't be able to rotate them. I would like 265/50-16's on the back and maybe 205/55-16's on the front. Would these fit on my wheels and in my stock wheel wells?

Thanks, Brad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The back tires would fit but they would be bulging out.

Best tire deal for less money are Futura Tires....Pep Boys..

Hope this helps some..

·
Registered
316 Posts
I said it before and I'll say it again. Sumitomo HTRZ-II's from TireRack.com. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I like the nittos....NT450's are pretty cheap for a 16 in. rim. I think like on avg. about 78 dollars per tire for 225 50 16's. I used to run 255 50 16 comp TA's out back and 225 50 16's in front. This combo looked really good IMO, but the backs were too wide for the rim and caused them to wear prematurely in the center. Now i run 245 50 16 Nitto drags out back and 225 50 16 Nitto NT450's in front.

·
Super Moderator
4,771 Posts
tnt4kpsx2 said:
The back tires would fit but they would be bulging out.

Best tire deal for less money are Futura Tires....Pep Boys..

Hope this helps some..
I second that on the Futuras. Me and several buddies have used them many times and they still have decent hook-up when they're just about bald. Not bad at all considering the price ($56.95). The Futuras are priced the same for a lot of the different popular sizes.

Helmut Roner
1988 GT
:cool:

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Nitto drag radial 245/50 in back, futura's up front....thats what I have used and recommend for those rims....the nitto's are the best tire for that rim IMHO.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies.

What did you pay for your Futura's? Does Pep Boys mount and balance them for you for free if you buy them there?

Thanks, Brad.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
az5oh said:
I like the nittos....NT450's are pretty cheap for a 16 in. rim. I think like on avg. about 78 dollars per tire for 225 50 16's. I used to run 255 50 16 comp TA's out back and 225 50 16's in front. This combo looked really good IMO, but the backs were too wide for the rim and caused them to wear prematurely in the center. Now i run 245 50 16 Nitto drags out back and 225 50 16 Nitto NT450's in front.
What he said!:cool:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just ran some Firestone (no, they didn't blow apart) all-season radials that were 225x55x16 and they hooked exceptionally well. They were about $75 per tire.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Kumho 712s here. $85/tire for 245/50/16s. They buldge a little bit on my Ponies but not enough to cause any problems. For the price they can't be beat!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently put KUMHO 712's on my 92 pony with 16x7's. I put 245 45's on and have been very happy with them. Paid 93 each on tire rack. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Kumhos are definatly recommendable, I have futura's on the front of my stang from the previous owner and they are a great tire... I'm just keepin them around so I'll have something to burn off though... they make a lot of noise :)

·
US Air Force Active Duty
270 Posts
Futuras

I didn't like running them, even though they were really cheap. I do run the Kumho 712's (265-35-18's) on my 300ZX and they seem to be really nice for the price, good overall handling and decent traction. My experience with the Futuras was not good, they were way "floaty" on the road almost like a slick would be, and they didn't hook for crap. I had put on some 265-50-15's (my old set of wheels) and it was like having a 195 on it traction-wise, I ordered a new set of BFG Euro T/A's that were smaller (245-50-15) and they hooked and handled SO much better, night and day difference. A tire that surprised me was these fairly cheap tires that Sears was selling, called the Viper GTZ (made by Cooper) I bought a set of 245-50-16's for my Ponys and paid about $68 a tire, for ZR-rated ones. They had excellent wet and dry traction, and handled very well, and the price was awesome for 16's!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
i'm gonna say that kumho's from tirerack are about the best deal there is

1 - 17 of 17 Posts