Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time has arrived to start lookin into a nice bottom end for the SysteMAX kit. so y noit spend it on a stroker :evil: I need to know which kit I should seriously look into and which to stay away from.

Consider me dumb on this one and please educate me on it ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I bought my kit from www.jdsperformance.com You can look at his website and figure out what HP level kit you want, but he will put together various parts from different manufacturers. Mine had Eagle "H" beams, JE Forged custom dome pistons, 4340 forged crank, Clevite bearings and Pro-Moly rings. If memory serves, it was about $1700.00 to my front door because of the costly slugs.
I think he is running a special right now on off the shelf 1000 HP kits for around $1350.00

Ron

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I have bought two probe kits and am VERY happy with them! I can get you a very nice deal as I have a contact there.

We picked up a 347 all forged ready for neutral for only $1599.

Ian

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have heard nothing but excellent stuff about the COAST HIGH PERFORMANCE 347 Kit which is Probe Industries I believe. I have heard it is the only 347 kit that is good. Because of the way they set up the wrist pins.

Not to play devils advocate....but why not go with a 331? Bigger is not always better :evil:

-Rob-
:lol:

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I have the Probe kit with the SRS series pistons, 5.315 ultra-lite rods and forged 4340 crank. The crank journals were dead on spec and the pistons are very nicely done and very light. The ultra-lite rods weighed in at under 530 grams, just what you want for a NA engine.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to play devils advocate....but why not go with a 331? Bigger is not always better
I am all ears..... tell me y the 331 is better :D I kinda know y but i wanna hear from the people who use them ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
It has nothing to do with better or worse. What I hear is you can get 200,000 miles out of a 331 and only 100,000 miles out of a 347, because the piston pin sits in the ring land...Ford Performance Solutions has solved that question..
Then I hear about "rod ratio"...

I have "heard" a lot of stuff about the 2 motors. I have yet to find anyone who has hard documented proof that one is better then the other. Someone who has kept records of all the 331 vs 347 motors built, and over a 2 or 3 year period has reached a documented conclusion that a real problem exists.

Ron

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Ive been doing ALOT of reading and talking to people about all this, and Ive found it all to be myths. Ask around. One is just as good as the other when properly built.

·
Registered
432 Posts
ron1 said:
It has nothing to do with better or worse. What I hear is you can get 200,000 miles out of a 331 and only 100,000 miles out of a 347, because the piston pin sits in the ring land...Ford Performance Solutions has solved that question..
Then I hear about "rod ratio"...

Ron
The piston pin on my JE pistoned 331 is in the bottom ring land also. At least that's what my JE Piston catalog says since Keith Craft assembled the short block
If I had it to do all over again, a 347 is what I would do !!!!!

Check out Keith Craft's site, I have had NO problems with my 331 and will buy my next motor fom them ...again

Good Luck
Brian

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I forgot to add in that I kinda wanted to go with a short block assembly only because i dont know of n e reputable engine builders around the CT area. Also i know i will need a computer program to run it, would the TwEECer be a good choice.....

:p thanx again guys

·
Registered
654 Posts
BB&T Racing has great prices and excellent cust service. Forget the 331 unless you're planning on adding boost down the road and get a 347 if built properly both should last as long as each other.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
CHP bought 347 long block had to send it back they built it for supercharger I didn't want built for supercharger, they say it's ok. bad lifters blows oil. they are fixing lifters but they want me to pay for pistons to be change.Customer service is not good. Buy from a local shop just my two cents

1 - 15 of 15 Posts