Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to purchase a genuine 86-93 Ford TFI module, but the dealer informed me they are obsolete.

Are the "Motorcraft" ones from Rock Auto, Amazon, and other such sources, comperable to the originals? I saw a few past threads about people purchasing several before getting one that wasn't faulty.

I'm doing some testing and would like to acquire a good quality TFI module to relocate away from the distrubutor body.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Motorcraft Is your best option

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Agreed. I will go so far as to say, that since I'm a fox-for-life kind of guy, I have an entire extra known-good OEM distributor on the shelf in the garage to diagnose issues with. I also have a few spare TFI modules waiting for the eventual failure of what's on the car. It's not as bad as people make out if you use a quality thermal paste. They last a long time, but aftermarket ones can be junk right out of the box.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
A few people have made posts about the current “motorcraft” ones not as the same quality as the older ones. Some ppl have stated they come in the correct box by have no markings on them at all. I replaced mine a few months ago and bought one from Napa. It’s been fine so far but I also did the relocation at the same time and used really good heat sink compound on the back and not the stuff it came with.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Agreed. I will go so far as to say, that since I'm a fox-for-life kind of guy, I have an entire extra known-good OEM distributor on the shelf in the garage to diagnose issues with. I also have a few spare TFI modules waiting for the eventual failure of what's on the car. It's not as bad as people make out if you use a quality thermal paste. They last a long time, but aftermarket ones can be junk right out of the box.
+1
I have multiple extra distributors with Motorcraft TFI and PIP sensors on my shelves for future use. I try to get any/all i see when I go to the salvage yards.

Remote mount goes a LONG way for longevity
I really want to do the remote mount someday, but like many projects, I want to do it the hard way and use a 94+ distributor that used the remote mount from the factory.
Have you ever seen this done?

·
Registered
762 Posts
I really want to do the remote mount someday, but like many projects, I want to do it the hard way and use a 94+ distributor that used the remote mount from the factory.
Have you ever seen this done?
it can be done. There are pip signal and ground wires which are located on the harness for the sn95 style distributor. I believe you could connect these to a fox tfi and remote mount it that way. If you study the wiring you can see what I’m talking about.

This is what I was going to do when I pulled my engine out of my 95 to swap into a 91 fox. There was a local guy looking to buy a distributor, and I sold him mine, so I never got to see if it would work.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
it can be done. There are pip signal and ground wires which are located on the harness for the sn95 style distributor. I believe you could connect these to a fox tfi and remote mount it that way. If you study the wiring you can see what I’m talking about.

This is what I was going to do when I pulled my engine out of my 95 to swap into a 91 fox. There was a local guy looking to buy a distributor, and I sold him mine, so I never got to see if it would work.
Yeah, I actually grabbed a remote TFI style distributor and a couple of remote style TFI’s a while back during one of my salvage yard trips. I’ve got the schematics for both, I’m just very reluctant to cut up a perfectly good wire harness.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was hoping to purchase a genuine 86-93 Ford TFI module, but the dealer informed me they are obsolete.

Are the "Motorcraft" ones from Rock Auto, Amazon, and other such sources, comperable to the originals? I saw a few past threads about people purchasing several before getting one that wasn't faulty.

I'm doing some testing and would like to acquire a good quality TFI module to relocate away from the distrubutor body.
I had issues with a couple of ones I bought from LMR and Rock. I ended up buying one from NAPA and haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had issues with a couple of ones I bought from LMR and Rock. I ended up buying one from NAPA and haven't had an issue since.
Was it a NAPA branded one? I get a discount there, but wasn't going to purchase one from them as they don't sell Motorcraft parts.

Unfortunately I've had a problem with most everything I've ordered from LMR.

I am absolutely going to remote mount the TF very soonI. I'm collecting parts to do that now.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yeah, I actually grabbed a remote TFI style distributor and a couple of remote style TFI’s a while back during one of my salvage yard trips. I’ve got the schematics for both, I’m just very reluctant to cut up a perfectly good wire harness.
I’m with you on that. My fox harness is literally A brand new ron Francis one. I wasn’t looking to hack it up. Just opted to buy a fox distributor.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I bought a motorcraft TFI module from a Ford dealership and it was faulty right out of the box.

I installed a TFI relocation kit and figured I'd use a new TFI module. Well returned that one and continued using the existing one on the car. Not sure how old it is.

For those stocking up on on TFI modules, you might want to verify that they actually work.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have stocked up on NOS ignition parts because of issues with current "Motorcraft" parts.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I did a TFI relocation this year and my new Motorcraft TFI module ran for 15 minutes and 2 miles of travel before it failed (sourced from Amazon). I reinstalled the old Motorcraft module and the car fired right up. Quality isn't Job One on Motorcraft TFI modules anymore.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I did a TFI relocation this year and my new Motorcraft TFI module ran for 15 minutes and 2 miles of travel before it failed (sourced from Amazon). I reinstalled the old Motorcraft module and the car fired right up. Quality isn't Job One on Motorcraft TFI modules anymore.
No offense, but "sourced from Amazon" means it is very likely to be a knock off.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
No offense, but "sourced from Amazon" means it is very likely to be a knock off.
Like I mentioned above. I bought one from Autonation Ford this past summer. Car would run for a minute or less then shut off. Defective. Returned the part.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
None taken. I was skeptical until I noticed the Motorcraft packaging had the dated Ford Parts Distribution warehouse location pull sticker I see when I get parts through the dealer.

Counterfeit OEM parts are out there, no doubt.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
That is a problem.
I wonder who manufactures the NAPA unit?
Yeah I was disappointed. It was recommended to replace the TFI module with a new one when doing the relocation kit. I'm not sure how old the one on the car is, but I ended up still using it because it works. It looks old.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts