Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had a NO2 system, but I'm considering one. I've got a fresh 306 with forged pistons, 9.6-1 with somewhere around 300rwhp (gauged by SOP & the look on a couple of car owners faces). I want a safe effective system for my car. What's best for up to 150hp? wet, dry, & why? who has the best kit & why?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Wow this ought to open a can of worms.

I'll throw my views out and let them get crushed. ;)

I think the dry kits are the best. They are less prone to backfires since the gasoline is introduced at the port instead of flowing through the upper manifold. The pooling of fuel (gasoline, or whatever) can cause a backfire. The wet systems seem to have more of a "kick" but they introduce fuel as well as nitrous at the throttle body opening of the upper plenum.

If you want to go past 150, you'll either have to go with a wet kit or get a plate system.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I was thinking along the same lines. I have 30# inj & a TwEECer, so I was thinking about tuning a nitros position.

I see people bad mouthing the dry kits & didn't know why.

My intended purpose will be for "make up" if needed in 3rd & 4th.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I like my Venom dry kit. I've had it set on the black jet for a while now. Good for around 90-100hp.

Currently I have the clear jet (125 shot), but haven't used it yet. Good safe system, although I can't compare it to a wet kit since I've never owned one. No complaints none the less.

Greg

·
Registered
407 Posts
I liked my dry N.O.S. kit but... It had troubles with the small solenoids having a short life. The Compucar Dry system was much easier to use and had a better (single) solenoid. It wasn't quite as powerful though.

My best kit so far has been a plate system, but it's low settings are about where you want to limit yours and it's a carburetor model.

For my 308, I eventually got an N.O.S. E.F.I. plate system and liked it well enough that I kept it in the family when I switched to a carb. and he still uses it.

The dry kits are not offering the hp advantage and that alone, takes away some of the backfire problems. I had one anyway, so I know they happen. It's more often a problem with wet kits, but not something I'd blame on fuel pooling altogether.

I'd never use a wet system on any car with a NON-metallic intake, including the 4.6SOHC engine, unless it's designed to add fuel directly and not in the intake. If you do, and have a backfire, the intake (at a minimum) is history.

If nitrous is properly installed and used, you'll probably never have any problems linked directly to it, no matter which type of system it is. My .02

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
edlebrock just came out with a brand new plate system that can make from 150-500 hp depending on jetting and can be tuned for individual cylinders. but the down side it you have to be using one of their intakes for it to fit.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'm a big fan of the NX wet kits. I had one on my stock '92 gt for almost 2 years with no problems at all. Plus I am in the process of installing one on the notch right now. One thing with NX is their hp ratings are at the wheels. They make a single fogger nozzle or they came out last year with a plate kit similar to the NOS Big Shot. If you can afford it, that is the way to go. Much more efficient kit. There's my 2 cents

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you just want a small kick in the butt like I did for my LX, I like a simple dry kit up to about 100 HP or so, and after that, I think a wet kit is safer as far as ensuring the fuel enrichment is sufficient and not running lean. Upping the F/P [the way the dry kits do] on the stock injectors will only give so much... That's my opinion anyways.

If you buy a wet kit definitely get a window switch and and set it so you don't spray under 3000 RPM, and you should have any of the puddling problems and backfire problems lots of people talk about with wet kits.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Ive had a NOS 5115 dry kit for over 5 years. I never had a problem with any parts at all. I used it on 2 different cars.
It was easy to install and never had any problems with the kit whatsoever.

My times below are on a 100 shot with 373 gears, MSD ingition, air filter, pullies and BGF drag radials.

Form what Ive heard and read, Wet kits are suppose to give a truer HP rating. So if you have a 100 shot pill you get a full 100 HP.
The NOS 5115 kit is a very conservative kit. You really need to play with the jet sizes to get the best HP rating.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
the zex kit made 135 pound feet of tourque at the rear wheels with the 125 pills in in that recent test in MM&FF, but it only made like 95 HP. that's the kit i'm getting if i get one.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Don't waste your time with ZEX.

It's a nice kit, I used it for about 1 1/2 years. It just doens't make the power that the other kits make.

NX all the way!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Stedda said:
Don't waste your time with ZEX.

It's a nice kit, I used it for about 1 1/2 years. It just doens't make the power that the other kits make.

NX all the way!
agreed...

NX offers great power at a great price... and for all of you worried about fuel puddling.. get a window switch and set it at 3500 rpms, this will virtually eliminate any chances of backfiring.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey guys,

I dunno. I have the Zex kit. The day I went to the track, I only got one clean pass on the spray. However before I started spraying I made a baseline pass with the car on motor, although tuned down for the nitrous [24s, 10* timing..].

Pass on motor was 2.179 60', 1/8th - 9.23 @ 78.67, 1/4 - 14.151 @ 98.87 MPH.

Just a note.. the car went 13.80s @ 99 and 100 MPH with bumped timing and stock plugs gapped at stock gap.

My one and only good pass all day on the juice was with the 100 HP jets in place, and started spraying at the top of second [otherwise, it just spun b/c of my just about dead street tires].

It ran: 2.382 60', 1/8th - 9.121 @ 84.92 MPH, 1/4 - 13.660 @ 110.61 MPH.

So, it gave me a solid 10 MPH over my 16* bumped timing, tweaked up stock tune last spring. And that day at the track [Oct 2002] I gained 11.74 MPH using the 100 shot. over the stock timing and 1 step colder plugs gapped tight..

Never made a clean pass with the 125 shot.. [had some other problems and called it quits after the 110 MPH pass]. But in my opinion, the Zex kit did exactly what it was supposed to. I love the kit, however I know that the wet kits are saod to generally have more kick to them.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
NX is best that Ive ever used.

Ive tried NOS, Compucar, and Nitrousworks. NX outperforms them all in every aspect but price... you pay for what you get though:p

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Obviously there is a little brand loyaty:) Thanks for the replies, reliability & my engine safety are high on my list. So far I've seen a lot of positives on the NX the Zex. Justa few negatives on the NOS solenoids.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Runs5s said:
NX is best that Ive ever used.

Ive tried NOS, Compucar, and Nitrousworks. NX outperforms them all in every aspect but price... you pay for what you get though:p
If you saw my prices NX would be outperforming in that aspect too.

A wet kit isn't going to backfire if you don't spray too low and don't hit any limiters. Use a window switch to be safe.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
4play said:
Justa few negatives on the NOS solenoids.

Thanks
Back in the day I ran a used NOS 5115 kit, burnt up two of those little noids.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Buddy,

I have run a NOS-5115-II dry kit for about a year now. I have only run it at HRP once (last August). It ran a 13.13 @ 115 with severe traction problems. My combo was very simple: TFS TW heads, TFS TH intake, B303, 1.72 rrs, longtubes and full exhaust, 3.73's. It is a good kit and works well . I was pretty impressed with it and I had a very safe tune so that I could get home from HRP.

If you are interested, I may be selling my kit in the near future. Give me a holler or talk to Neighbors. Chris and I get together fairly regularly and we could probably set something up if you're interested.

Kyle

·
Registered
82 Posts
slowcpe said:
I'm a big fan of the NX wet kits. I had one on my stock '92 gt for almost 2 years with no problems at all. Plus I am in the process of installing one on the notch right now. One thing with NX is their hp ratings are at the wheels. They make a single fogger nozzle or they came out last year with a plate kit similar to the NOS Big Shot. If you can afford it, that is the way to go. Much more efficient kit. There's my 2 cents
I to have the NX kit. Is this plate a new design? How much is it, and do you have apic of it? thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts