Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up my rear suspension after installing a MM panhard bar and coilovers on my 2003 GT. I am suspecting that the drivers side rear wheelwell arch is high as it is measuring significantly higher than the other three. To verify this, I also took measurements at the pinch weld and then farther under the car closer the full length subframe connectors. While each of these still read higher on the driver side, all three measurements varied pretty substantially. Left side to right side pinchweld and under body is at ~0.25" different. Wheelwell arch left to right is about a full 1.0".

Where is the most reliable measurement pick up point?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Typically it’s measured from the center of the wheel (directly in the center of the hub) to the edge of wheel arch on the fender, right vertically straight up. For example, If spring manufacturers say its a 340mm spring, that’s typically the measurement they are referring to.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. That is where I started but it sure seems way off. Maybe I was unclear as I used the term wheelwell. I am indeed measuring at the center of arch on the fender as you noted. That is why I was looking at other body locations that may be less susceptible to manufacturing variation.

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
I typically put blue painters tape on the fenders with a DOT, and a peice on the center of the wheel hub with a dot and measure there. That way i get repeatable measurements by ensuring i use the same points.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I measure ground to lip since ride height is a visual issue (unless corner weighting). Just be consistent with the lip point and measure through the center of the wheel typically using 90* to the floor. Also adjusting one corner usually affects the cross corner, so there is a balancing act going on. And I've found over the years that pickup points very as do the pieces bolted on. Some of this can be mitigated with adjustable pieces. But when it comes down to it a .25" difference across the board is not easily seen except where the top of the tire is very close to the lip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts