Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the single best intake manifold is for a bone stock 302. Some say the cobra, some the trick flow street, just wondering if anyone knows the best intake for a stock, street 5.0 mustang. thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
They'll all do pretty much the same thing with stock heads and cam but if you must get one then get the Holley. That's probably the best one and if you do start to do more mods you won't have to worry about a restrictive intake.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Stay away from the cobra, stock cobra don't flow very well on after market heads like afr's or trickflow. I would get a trickflow street, those flow like no freaking tomorrow. Just look around I know a guy who was making 275hp with trickflow heads and stage on cam with a cobra intake, he upgrade to a trickflow track heat and went to 315hp. Remeber the Gt40/explore/cobra intakes only flow 200cfm non ported.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Another option is an Edelbrock Performer. If the engine is stock and will stay stock, then you dont need any more than a Cobra or Explorer intake. In fact, a Holley Systemax 1 lower that your stock upper bolts onto will probably work about as well and you'll take a minimal hit in torque(and its less than $150).

·
Registered
216 Posts
GT Madness said:
In fact, a Holley Systemax 1 lower that your stock upper bolts onto will probably work about as well and you'll take a minimal hit in torque(and its less than $150).
To bad there not available anymore......discontinued

·
Registered
605 Posts
Well, from what I have learned (I have been researching this topic), I think your best options are:

- Edelbrock Performer
- Cobra / GT40 / Explorer
- Holley Systemax 1 lower OR ported stock lower w/ stock upper.
- maybe the small TFS street manifold... don't know much about this one.

Personally, I plan to use either a Cobra or a ported stock lower, as I am not planning to ever add heads and cam, so I do not need to worry about something that will work on a more highly modded engine in the future.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Stay away from the cobra, stock cobra don't flow very well on after market heads like afr's or trickflow. I would get a trickflow street, those flow like no freaking tomorrow. Just look around I know a guy who was making 275hp with trickflow heads and stage on cam with a cobra intake, he upgrade to a trickflow track heat and went to 315hp. Remeber the Gt40/explore/cobra intakes only flow 200cfm non ported

:lol:

Thats a joke!
Have you used a cobra intake?
I have ran 12.90 with bone stock long block and cobra intake.Then I ported the lower ran it with TW heads and custom cam and only 2 1/4 " cat back and ran 12.08 @112.8
Makes mad torque

By the way made 318rwhp and 326rwtq,WITH THE COBRA INTAKE::

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
whoever bashes the cobra is an idiot. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

I have hands on experience - dyno data/track data/street driving, and with MY combo, the ported cobra made more power and was faster at the track than my RPM intake. FACT

·
Registered
118 Posts
intake

eld perfpmer hands down they work great on stock or slightly moddifed carss also when u step up u can port the lower and throw on a rpm upper for more power :evil:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm leaning towards the edelbrock performer. I hear it is very easy to port and keep in mind that I'm using stock heads and cam.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
if staying with stock heads and cam I would go with a ported stock lower... 100 bux plus shipping from Tom Moss... hard to beat that and it'll out flow the heads, so, the intake will not be the restriction.

The Holley Systemax 1 that I bought was over 270 bux from Summit, and, they're discontinued from Holley. On top of all that, the port alignment was so bad that it had to be worked over extensivly. Mine is so jacked up, I'm currently boxing up my stock lower to ship off to Tom Moss.

If you've got a buch of money laying around, I would not hesitate to run a E-Brock Performer, not the RPM, the Performer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
take a look at the proffesional products typhoon upper and lower.its supposed to be a copy of the performer and you can buy both pieces for @$250.00 on line.pp says that they flow better than the performer, up to 6500. i haven't bolted mine on yet,but the intake is very good quality.hope this helps.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I quality of Typhoon intake could be of a concern. You get what u paid for. I love my Edelbrock Performer:)
Paul

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I've heard horror stories about the castings ana flashing on the Pro Product intakes. I am personally running the stock intake and heads with a B cam. I know, it's a strange combo, but it was in there when I got the car. I will be sending my lower off to Tmoss before to long, hopefully.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
The pro products intake is definitely cheaper, and there is more flash. with definite flash and sloppy runners. But if you have it cleaned up with a grinder real quick it will work just as well, at a much cheaper price.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
typhoon is the same as the RPM.

Way too much intake

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Oh, I should have mentioned that its too big for this application......I was just refering to the comments about the typhoon compared to the rpm. I would put a cobra/gt40 or regular performer on this setup.

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
A stock intake with the lower ported is the "best" and cheapest intake for an otherwise stock 5.0 car. See my signature and paste the web site.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Performer should work great for what you are looking. The cobra would be my second choice.

-tyler

1 - 20 of 44 Posts